A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » Disk Drives
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

3.5 and 5.5 disk floppy drives not working! Win.98 2nd.ed.

Old January 10th 05, 06:12 PM
scsmith
External Usenet User

Wink 3.5 and 5.5 disk floppy drives not working! Win.98 2nd.ed.

I have windows 98 2nd edition and a 3.5 and a 5.5 disk floppy drives. On the control panel it shows the 3.5 as drive A and has a bunch of little dots around it, and drive B is the 5.5 drive. When you try to read the properties or engage the drive A, 3.5 floppy drive , it freezes up the computer for about 15 to 30 minutes then says it is unaccessible. When you try to read the properties of drive B, the 5.5 floppy drive, it shows it as a 3.5 floppy and therefore it won't format, read or write anything. I went into the cmos and bios and it shows the 3.5 in drive A but shows NONE on drive B. I was unable to change any of the floppy drive features or options at all. When I try to have the computer try to use the wizard to find and engage any plug and play devices, it virtually freezes up the computer for a long, long time, until I have to just shut the power off! I am scsmith05 at juno and dot com. What can I do to fix this problem?