A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » Software & Applications
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Daylight Savings Patch



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 13th 07, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
tom
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 23
Default Daylight Savings Patch

Anyone had experience with the patch from:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU

That is:

Q931836.exe

Thanks!

I have a number of 98 systems and I don't want to do them manually if
I
can avoid it.

  #2  
Old February 13th 07, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
MEB
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,050
Default Daylight Savings Patch




"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Anyone had experience with the patch from:
|
| http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
|
| That is:
|
| Q931836.exe
|
| Thanks!
|
| I have a number of 98 systems and I don't want to do them manually if
| I
| can avoid it.
|

That happens to be an update to a TZ "fix" that was discussed in this forum
via several threads.
To combat, or rather address other potential aspects which may be related
[or not] Gary Terhune MVP created [or is modifying/creating] a TZ file for
all versions of Windows, with the various issues related to other areas of
the world [if I remember correctly].

http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/
BLOG - http://peoplescounsel.spaces.live.com/ Public Notice or the "real
world"
http://groups.google.com/group/the-peoples-law?hl=en - discussion group for
general aspects of Law verses the Peoples' of the world

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth.
Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if
nothing had happen." Winston Churchill
Or to put it another way:
Morpheus can offer you the two pills;
but only you can choose whether you take the red pill or the blue one.
_______________


  #3  
Old February 15th 07, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
PCR
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 4,396
Default Daylight Savings Patch

MEB wrote:
| "tom" wrote in message
| ups.com...
|| Anyone had experience with the patch from:
||
|| http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
||
|| That is:
||
|| Q931836.exe
||
|| Thanks!
||
|| I have a number of 98 systems and I don't want to do them manually if
|| I
|| can avoid it.
||
|
| That happens to be an update to a TZ "fix" that was discussed in
| this forum via several threads.
| To combat, or rather address other potential aspects which may be
| related [or not] Gary Terhune MVP created [or is modifying/creating]
| a TZ file for all versions of Windows, with the various issues
| related to other areas of the world [if I remember correctly].
|
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm

Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that steps
(g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
..reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
from...
http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
....does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
that one, though, for another reason.

The following is required to do in the USA only...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387
How to configure daylight saving time for the United States in 2007
.......Quote.......
INTRODUCTION
Because of the Energy Policy Act, daylight saving time is extended by
four weeks in 2007. This change starts on the second Sunday of March and
ends on the first Sunday of November.
.......EOQ.........

The time has come to follow the instructions in that article, or,
perhaps a bit more clear...

(a) Click TZEDIT.EXE.
It opens with your time zone selected.
(b) Click the Edit button.
(c) Change the Start Day to... Second, Sunday, March.
(d) Change the Last Day to... First, Sunday, November.
(e) Click the OK button.
(f) Click the Close button.
(g) Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel,
and then double-click Date/Time.
(h) Click the Time Zone tab.
(i) Select a different time zone than (the one you are set at),
and then click Apply.
(j) Click (back to the one you were set at), and then click OK.

"Note Steps i and j are required for the new changes to take effect",
the article says, as does TZEdit's own help screen.

Do so before March 11, 2007. If you cannot get TZEdit.exe from your
personal copy of the Resource Kit, get it from the above article as
Candlin saw or from...
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/tec...Reskit/CONFIG/...,
as Laura Fredericks did discover, after likely 1/2 ton of clicking
(although she denies it).

| --
| MEB
| http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/
| BLOG - http://peoplescounsel.spaces.live.com/ Public Notice or the
| "real world"
| http://groups.google.com/group/the-peoples-law?hl=en - discussion
| group for general aspects of Law verses the Peoples' of the world
|
| "Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth.
| Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business
| as if nothing had happen." Winston Churchill
| Or to put it another way:
| Morpheus can offer you the two pills;
| but only you can choose whether you take the red pill or the blue
| one. _______________

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
Should things get worse after this,
PCR



  #4  
Old February 15th 07, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
MEB
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,050
Default Daylight Savings Patch




"PCR" wrote in message
...
| MEB wrote:
| | "tom" wrote in message
| | ups.com...
| || Anyone had experience with the patch from:
| ||
| || http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
| ||
| || That is:
| ||
| || Q931836.exe
| ||
| || Thanks!
| ||
| || I have a number of 98 systems and I don't want to do them manually if
| || I
| || can avoid it.
| ||
| |
| | That happens to be an update to a TZ "fix" that was discussed in
| | this forum via several threads.
| | To combat, or rather address other potential aspects which may be
| | related [or not] Gary Terhune MVP created [or is modifying/creating]
| | a TZ file for all versions of Windows, with the various issues
| | related to other areas of the world [if I remember correctly].
| |
| | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm
|
| Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that steps
| (g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
| .reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
| from...
| http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
| ...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
| that one, though, for another reason.

Debatable though, but we respect Terhune soo..
BG

DANG, I saw cquirke rolled through,,, did he stay to chat or was this the
immaculate desception... grab him quick before he gets away..

|
| The following is required to do in the USA only...
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387
| How to configure daylight saving time for the United States in 2007
| ......Quote.......
| INTRODUCTION
| Because of the Energy Policy Act, daylight saving time is extended by
| four weeks in 2007. This change starts on the second Sunday of March and
| ends on the first Sunday of November.
| ......EOQ.........
|
| The time has come to follow the instructions in that article, or,
| perhaps a bit more clear...
|
| (a) Click TZEDIT.EXE.
| It opens with your time zone selected.
| (b) Click the Edit button.
| (c) Change the Start Day to... Second, Sunday, March.
| (d) Change the Last Day to... First, Sunday, November.
| (e) Click the OK button.
| (f) Click the Close button.
| (g) Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel,
| and then double-click Date/Time.
| (h) Click the Time Zone tab.
| (i) Select a different time zone than (the one you are set at),
| and then click Apply.
| (j) Click (back to the one you were set at), and then click OK.
|
| "Note Steps i and j are required for the new changes to take effect",
| the article says, as does TZEdit's own help screen.
|
| Do so before March 11, 2007. If you cannot get TZEdit.exe from your
| personal copy of the Resource Kit, get it from the above article as
| Candlin saw or from...
|
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/tec...Reskit/CONFIG/...,
| as Laura Fredericks did discover, after likely 1/2 ton of clicking
| (although she denies it).
|
| | --
| | MEB
| | _______________
|
| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| Should things get worse after this,
| PCR
|
|
|

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/
BLOG - http://peoplescounsel.spaces.live.com/ Public Notice or the "real
world"
http://groups.google.com/group/the-peoples-law?hl=en - discussion group for
general aspects of Law verses the Peoples' of the world

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth.
Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if
nothing had happen." Winston Churchill
Or to put it another way:
Morpheus can offer you the two pills;
but only you can choose whether you take the red pill or the blue one.
_______________


  #5  
Old February 15th 07, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
tom
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 23
Default Daylight Savings Patch

On Feb 14, 7:44 pm, "PCR" wrote:
MEB wrote:
| "tom" wrote in message

oups.com...
|| Anyone had experience with the patch from:
||
||http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
||
|| That is:
||
|| Q931836.exe
||
|| Thanks!
||
|| I have a number of 98 systems and I don't want to do them manually if
|| I
|| can avoid it.
||
|
| That happens to be an update to a TZ "fix" that was discussed in
| this forum via several threads.
| To combat, or rather address other potential aspects which may be
| related [or not] Gary Terhune MVP created [or is modifying/creating]
| a TZ file for all versions of Windows, with the various issues
| related to other areas of the world [if I remember correctly].
|
|http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm

Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that steps
(g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
.reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
from...http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
that one, though, for another reason.


Where are these conversations? I cannot find them when I search the
news groups.

I did find one where you pointed out that (g) though (j) should be
run, but no reply from Terhune.

I tested the grystmill patch without running steps (g) through (j) and
it worked. Tested on 98SE by moving the time forward and letting it
pass through 2 AM on March 11, 2007.

So, when does this (g) through (j) issue apply. I have already
applied the patch on a number of systems, I need to know if I should
do the (g) through (j) thing on all systems, some systems, or no
systems.


The following is required to do in the USA only...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=914387
How to configure daylight saving time for the United States in 2007
......Quote.......
INTRODUCTION
Because of the Energy Policy Act, daylight saving time is extended by
four weeks in 2007. This change starts on the second Sunday of March and
ends on the first Sunday of November.
......EOQ.........

The time has come to follow the instructions in that article, or,
perhaps a bit more clear...

(a) Click TZEDIT.EXE.
It opens with your time zone selected.
(b) Click the Edit button.
(c) Change the Start Day to... Second, Sunday, March.
(d) Change the Last Day to... First, Sunday, November.
(e) Click the OK button.
(f) Click the Close button.
(g) Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel,
and then double-click Date/Time.
(h) Click the Time Zone tab.
(i) Select a different time zone than (the one you are set at),
and then click Apply.
(j) Click (back to the one you were set at), and then click OK.

"Note Steps i and j are required for the new changes to take effect",
the article says, as does TZEdit's own help screen.

Do so before March 11, 2007. If you cannot get TZEdit.exe from your
personal copy of the Resource Kit, get it from the above article as
Candlin saw or from...ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/tec...Reskit/CONFIG/...,
as Laura Fredericks did discover, after likely 1/2 ton of clicking
(although she denies it).

| --
| MEB
|http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/
| BLOG -http://peoplescounsel.spaces.live.com/Public Notice or the
| "real world"
|http://groups.google.com/group/the-peoples-law?hl=en- discussion
| group for general aspects of Law verses the Peoples' of the world
|
| "Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth.
| Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business
| as if nothing had happen." Winston Churchill
| Or to put it another way:
| Morpheus can offer you the two pills;
| but only you can choose whether you take the red pill or the blue
| one. _______________

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
Should things get worse after this,
PCR



  #6  
Old February 15th 07, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
... et al.
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 204
Default Daylight Savings Patch

tom wrote:

"PCR" wrote:

MEB wrote:


|http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm

Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that steps
(g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
.reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
from...http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
that one, though, for another reason.



Where are these conversations? I cannot find them when I search the
news groups.


Gary answering 'John John', agreeing he'd forgotten to add something:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/msg/b62be55998073a81?hl=en

In my 'locale' /they/ haven't changed these self-delusion rules, with
mucking around with /relative/ time, recently so i have only skimmed
through the discussions about it.

I did find one where you pointed out that (g) though (j) should be
run, but no reply from Terhune.

I tested the grystmill patch without running steps (g) through (j) and
it worked. Tested on 98SE by moving the time forward and letting it
pass through 2 AM on March 11, 2007.

So, when does this (g) through (j) issue apply. I have already
applied the patch on a number of systems, I need to know if I should
do the (g) through (j) thing on all systems, some systems, or no
systems.


--
Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.

Please followup in the newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
  #7  
Old February 15th 07, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
tom
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 23
Default Daylight Savings Patch

On Feb 15, 8:47 am, "... et al."
wrote:
tom wrote:
"PCR" wrote:


MEB wrote:
|http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm


Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that steps
(g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
.reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
from...http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
that one, though, for another reason.


Where are these conversations? I cannot find them when I search the
news groups.


Gary answering 'John John', agreeing he'd forgotten to add something:




The above link does not work.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/...


That still does not explain if you need to do those steps for 98SE.
It's pretty ambiguous. Are the extra steps needed for some systems,
but not all? I am not sure.

I have a bunch of systems to do, so I would like to avoid extra steps
if possible.


In my 'locale' /they/ haven't changed these self-delusion rules, with
mucking around with /relative/ time, recently so i have only skimmed
through the discussions about it.

I did find one where you pointed out that (g) though (j) should be
run, but no reply from Terhune.


I tested the grystmill patch without running steps (g) through (j) and
it worked. Tested on 98SE by moving the time forward and letting it
pass through 2 AM on March 11, 2007.


So, when does this (g) through (j) issue apply. I have already
applied the patch on a number of systems, I need to know if I should
do the (g) through (j) thing on all systems, some systems, or no
systems.


--
Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.

Please followup in the newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -



  #8  
Old February 15th 07, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
... et al.
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 204
Default Daylight Savings Patch

tom wrote:

"... et al."wrote:

tom wrote:

"PCR" wrote:


MEB wrote:
|http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm


Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that steps
(g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
.reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
from...http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
that one, though, for another reason.


Where are these conversations? I cannot find them when I search the
news groups.


Gary answering 'John John', agreeing he'd forgotten to add something:




The above link does not work.


It's a Universal, well Global, Resource Identifier not limited to
Google. If it works depends on setup (Newsclient & OS) and the retention
of posts at your Newsgroup Service Provider. It is the same thing as
what you found via the next link:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/...


That still does not explain if you need to do those steps for 98SE.
It's pretty ambiguous. Are the extra steps needed for some systems,
but not all? I am not sure.

I have a bunch of systems to do, so I would like to avoid extra steps
if possible.


Understandable.

In my 'locale' /they/ haven't changed these self-delusion rules, with
mucking around with /relative/ time, recently so i have only skimmed
through the discussions about it.


So you'd better wait until the earth turns so that Gary, PCR and the
others 'over there' wakes up and and comes back to you with more
detailed info.

--
Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.

Please followup in the newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
  #9  
Old February 15th 07, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
MEB
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,050
Default Daylight Savings Patch




"... et al." wrote in message
...
| tom wrote:
|
| "... et al."wrote:
|
| tom wrote:
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| MEB wrote:
| |http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm
|
| Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that
steps
| (g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
| .reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
| from...http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
| ...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
| that one, though, for another reason.
|
| Where are these conversations? I cannot find them when I search the
| news groups.
|
| Gary answering 'John John', agreeing he'd forgotten to add something:
|
|
|
| The above link does not work.
|
| It's a Universal, well Global, Resource Identifier not limited to
| Google. If it works depends on setup (Newsclient & OS) and the retention
| of posts at your Newsgroup Service Provider. It is the same thing as
| what you found via the next link:
|
|
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/...
|
| That still does not explain if you need to do those steps for 98SE.
| It's pretty ambiguous. Are the extra steps needed for some systems,
| but not all? I am not sure.
|
| I have a bunch of systems to do, so I would like to avoid extra steps
| if possible.
|
| Understandable.
|
| In my 'locale' /they/ haven't changed these self-delusion rules, with
| mucking around with /relative/ time, recently so i have only skimmed
| through the discussions about it.
|
| So you'd better wait until the earth turns so that Gary, PCR and the
| others 'over there' wakes up and and comes back to you with more
| detailed info.
|
| --
| Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.
|
| Please followup in the newsgroup.
| E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

IIRC, the issue was addressed.
One issue was the need to shut down the computer to ensure the registry
changes took effect on 98 and NT [unlike other newer OSs that might refresh
hives occasionally or automatically] but then if one installs much if
anything that should be a no-brainer, no shutdown - no proper registry
changes and potential loss due to some prewritten registry loss or other
issue. I would do this shutdown and restart for either suggested fix and
EVERY installation regardless of no supposed need. Its always better to be
safe than sorry. We should all realize by now, how effective others claims
are,; one need only think of how many times have we had to override defaults
or set program settings for them to work in our individual and unique
systems.

As for the need to change timezones back and forth: that, to me, seems it
would be taken care of during the time period from now til the actual change
period. The registry will/should have been updated everywhere [swap and
otherwise] due to length of time involved; however, if INSTANT verification
is needed, or if waiting until the "last minute" or after the change has
taken effect, then it appears, the timezone changeovers would be needed, as
these would force instant change, again with necessary shutdowns and
restarts.

But then Gary would be the one to actually confirm exactly what his
modification requires, and what those who tested it reported. Just as the
one on MGDX would have to be verified by the users of that particular fix.

I open this discussion again for those verifications of either or other
fixes.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/
BLOG - http://peoplescounsel.spaces.live.com/ Public Notice or the "real
world"
http://groups.google.com/group/the-peoples-law?hl=en - discussion group for
general aspects of Law verses the Peoples' of the world

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth.
Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if
nothing had happen." Winston Churchill
Or to put it another way:
Morpheus can offer you the two pills;
but only you can choose whether you take the red pill or the blue one.
_______________


  #10  
Old February 15th 07, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.apps
John John
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 359
Default Daylight Savings Patch

MEB wrote:
"... et al." wrote in message
...
| tom wrote:
|
| "... et al."wrote:
|
| tom wrote:
|
| "PCR" wrote:
|
| MEB wrote:
| |http://www.grystmill.com/articles/tz_update.htm
|
| Subsequently, Terhune agreed with John John in another thread that
steps
| (g) though (j) [below] would also have to be done after running his
| .reg, but obviously not steps (a) through (h). Looks like the one
| from...http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#TZU
| ...does it's own (g) through (j), though. Terhune had an objection to
| that one, though, for another reason.
|
| Where are these conversations? I cannot find them when I search the
| news groups.
|
| Gary answering 'John John', agreeing he'd forgotten to add something:
|
|
|
| The above link does not work.
|
| It's a Universal, well Global, Resource Identifier not limited to
| Google. If it works depends on setup (Newsclient & OS) and the retention
| of posts at your Newsgroup Service Provider. It is the same thing as
| what you found via the next link:
|
|
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/...
|
| That still does not explain if you need to do those steps for 98SE.
| It's pretty ambiguous. Are the extra steps needed for some systems,
| but not all? I am not sure.
|
| I have a bunch of systems to do, so I would like to avoid extra steps
| if possible.
|
| Understandable.
|
| In my 'locale' /they/ haven't changed these self-delusion rules, with
| mucking around with /relative/ time, recently so i have only skimmed
| through the discussions about it.
|
| So you'd better wait until the earth turns so that Gary, PCR and the
| others 'over there' wakes up and and comes back to you with more
| detailed info.
|
| --
| Nah-ah. I'm staying out of this. ... Now, here's my opinion.
|
| Please followup in the newsgroup.
| E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

IIRC, the issue was addressed.
One issue was the need to shut down the computer to ensure the registry
changes took effect on 98 and NT [unlike other newer OSs that might refresh
hives occasionally or automatically] but then if one installs much if
anything that should be a no-brainer, no shutdown - no proper registry
changes and potential loss due to some prewritten registry loss or other
issue. I would do this shutdown and restart for either suggested fix and
EVERY installation regardless of no supposed need. Its always better to be
safe than sorry. We should all realize by now, how effective others claims
are,; one need only think of how many times have we had to override defaults
or set program settings for them to work in our individual and unique
systems.

As for the need to change timezones back and forth: that, to me, seems it
would be taken care of during the time period from now til the actual change
period. The registry will/should have been updated everywhere [swap and
otherwise] due to length of time involved; however, if INSTANT verification
is needed, or if waiting until the "last minute" or after the change has
taken effect, then it appears, the timezone changeovers would be needed, as
these would force instant change, again with necessary shutdowns and
restarts.

But then Gary would be the one to actually confirm exactly what his
modification requires, and what those who tested it reported. Just as the
one on MGDX would have to be verified by the users of that particular fix.

I open this discussion again for those verifications of either or other
fixes.


As I understand it, on Windows 98 the information is stored in these 2
registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Time Zones

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TimeZoneInformation

The first key contains the database for _ALL_ time zones. The second
key contains the information for the time zone _CURRENTLY_ being used on
the computer. The information in this second key was _COPIED_ from the
database information stored in the first key _WHEN_ the time zone was
set. If the information now is different than when the time zone was
set, the information in the second key has to be refreshed to reflect
the changes made in the first key, if not the time will not change as
expected on the new date.

The information above can be confirmed (infered) by reading various
Microsoft KB articles regarding time zones and Windows 9x. For example
this is explained in one article:

[quote]

Changes made with Time Zone Editor affect the stored data for time zones
in the registry. If a time zone is already set on the computer, that
data is saved in another location in the registry. In order for the new
information to be used, you must use the Date/Time tool in Control Panel
and select or re-select the time zone.

[End quote]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158195/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886775

In these articles Microsoft clearly instructs Windows 98 users to change
the information in the HKLM TimeZoneInformation key.

John


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daylight Savings Patch tom General 114 March 19th 07 10:11 PM
Unofficial Time Zones Update (Testers wanted) Gary S. Terhune General 70 February 24th 07 06:29 PM
Win98 Daylight Savings Time Manual Update Required-- reminder 1 PCR General 88 December 14th 06 09:32 PM
Reg patch for U.S. Daylight Saving Time changes? Laura Fredericks General 84 December 9th 06 07:46 PM
Win98 Daylight Savings Time Manual Update Required PCR General 3 November 26th 06 10:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.