A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Software & Applications
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 18th 05, 06:53 AM
Jerry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Compressed Files and Folders

I use Windows Me. Some time ago I was able to compress my files by choosing
the following key strokes: Select (highlight) file or folder, then click
File, then click Send To and choose Compressed Folder. Or, I could click
File, then New, then Compressed Folder.

In either case, a compressed folder icon would appear.

Now, when I use the same key strokes, the words “Compressed Folder� do not
appear. It has disappeared. How do I get back the option for Compressed
Folder?

I have tried Detect and Repair listed under Help in Microsoft Word.

Thanks,
Jerry

  #2  
Old October 18th 05, 07:09 AM
Noel Paton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Try reinstalling Compressed Folders from Add/Remove Programs |Windows Setup

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Jerry" wrote in message
...
Compressed Files and Folders

I use Windows Me. Some time ago I was able to compress my files by
choosing
the following key strokes: Select (highlight) file or folder, then click
File, then click Send To and choose Compressed Folder. Or, I could click
File, then New, then Compressed Folder.

In either case, a compressed folder icon would appear.

Now, when I use the same key strokes, the words "Compressed Folder" do not
appear. It has disappeared. How do I get back the option for Compressed
Folder?

I have tried Detect and Repair listed under Help in Microsoft Word.

Thanks,
Jerry



  #3  
Old October 18th 05, 08:02 PM
Jerry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Noel -

Thanks for the return. Your suggestion fixed the problem.

Jerry

"Noel Paton" wrote:

Try reinstalling Compressed Folders from Add/Remove Programs |Windows Setup

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Jerry" wrote in message
...
Compressed Files and Folders

I use Windows Me. Some time ago I was able to compress my files by
choosing
the following key strokes: Select (highlight) file or folder, then click
File, then click Send To and choose Compressed Folder. Or, I could click
File, then New, then Compressed Folder.

In either case, a compressed folder icon would appear.

Now, when I use the same key strokes, the words "Compressed Folder" do not
appear. It has disappeared. How do I get back the option for Compressed
Folder?

I have tried Detect and Repair listed under Help in Microsoft Word.

Thanks,
Jerry




  #4  
Old October 18th 05, 08:37 PM
Noel Paton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Glad to hear it - and thanks VERY much for the feedback!! (it's surprising
how many people forget to let us know whether a suggestion worked, or not!)


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Jerry" wrote in message
...
Noel -

Thanks for the return. Your suggestion fixed the problem.

Jerry

"Noel Paton" wrote:

Try reinstalling Compressed Folders from Add/Remove Programs |Windows
Setup

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Jerry" wrote in message
...
Compressed Files and Folders

I use Windows Me. Some time ago I was able to compress my files by
choosing
the following key strokes: Select (highlight) file or folder, then
click
File, then click Send To and choose Compressed Folder. Or, I could
click
File, then New, then Compressed Folder.

In either case, a compressed folder icon would appear.

Now, when I use the same key strokes, the words "Compressed Folder" do
not
appear. It has disappeared. How do I get back the option for
Compressed
Folder?

I have tried Detect and Repair listed under Help in Microsoft Word.

Thanks,
Jerry






  #5  
Old March 5th 09, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.software
Don Williams
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 4
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Makes sense but it's not there. I have heard that if any other zip programs
are installed this feature is disabled, however I haven't installed any other
such programs.
--
Don Williams
La Jolla, CA


"Noel Paton" wrote:

Try reinstalling Compressed Folders from Add/Remove Programs |Windows Setup

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Jerry" wrote in message
...
Compressed Files and Folders

I use Windows Me. Some time ago I was able to compress my files by
choosing
the following key strokes: Select (highlight) file or folder, then click
File, then click Send To and choose Compressed Folder. Or, I could click
File, then New, then Compressed Folder.

In either case, a compressed folder icon would appear.

Now, when I use the same key strokes, the words "Compressed Folder" do not
appear. It has disappeared. How do I get back the option for Compressed
Folder?

I have tried Detect and Repair listed under Help in Microsoft Word.

Thanks,
Jerry




  #6  
Old March 5th 09, 02:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.software
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling Compressed Folders? I'm
not clear from your reply whether you did this or whether you just checked
that Compressed Folders were marked as installed.
--
Mike Maltby



Don Williams wrote:

Makes sense but it's not there. I have heard that if any other zip
programs are installed this feature is disabled, however I haven't
installed any other such programs.


  #7  
Old March 5th 09, 04:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.software
Don Williams
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 4
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

That option was not available in Win XP component options, however I did find
a solution as follows:

Click Start, Run and type (or paste):

rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto

In the background, a 0 byte file named Compressed (zipped)
Folder.ZFSendToTarget will automatically be created in the
%Userprofile%\SendTo folder.

This worked just fine.
--
Don Williams
Moore, Oklahoma


"Mike M" wrote:

Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling Compressed Folders? I'm
not clear from your reply whether you did this or whether you just checked
that Compressed Folders were marked as installed.
--
Mike Maltby



Don Williams wrote:

Makes sense but it's not there. I have heard that if any other zip
programs are installed this feature is disabled, however I haven't
installed any other such programs.



  #8  
Old March 5th 09, 09:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.software
Noel Paton[_3_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 229
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Ye gods! - That OP was dated Nov 2005! (ands it's in the MS archive
still??? - have their retention policies changed?)
Thanks for picking it up, Mike
Seems that Don is actually using XP rather than ME, so my original
suggestion was not really relevant

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"Mike M" wrote in message
...
Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling Compressed Folders? I'm
not clear from your reply whether you did this or whether you just checked
that Compressed Folders were marked as installed.
--
Mike Maltby



Don Williams wrote:

Makes sense but it's not there. I have heard that if any other zip
programs are installed this feature is disabled, however I haven't
installed any other such programs.



  #9  
Old March 5th 09, 09:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.software
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

That option was not available in Win XP

That's not at all surprising since you are in the wrong newsgroup. This
is one supporting those still running the legacy Windows Me operating
system, hence the "windowsme" rather than "windowsxp" in its title.

I'm pleased to read that you've solved the problem. Re-registering the
zip folders file would have been my next suggestion but is not usually
required for those running Win Me.
--
Mike Maltby



Don Williams wrote:

That option was not available in Win XP component options, however I
did find a solution as follows:

Click Start, Run and type (or paste):

rundll32 zipfldr.dll,RegisterSendto

In the background, a 0 byte file named Compressed (zipped)
Folder.ZFSendToTarget will automatically be created in the
%Userprofile%\SendTo folder.

This worked just fine.


  #10  
Old March 5th 09, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.software
Don Williams
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 4
Default Compressed Files and Folders Option Missing

Sorry, I had no idea that a general search would lead me to the wrong
operating system.
--
Don Williams
La Jolla, CA

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding total number of Folders and Files on C: drive PSRumbagh General 36 August 12th 05 04:57 AM
compressed folders n comp. crashing! kerainish General 1 November 20th 04 12:30 PM
Win9x : Utility to dynamic mapping TEMP to memory ? Libor Striz General 22 September 15th 04 06:56 AM
C Windows profiles user application data LuckyStrike General 24 June 18th 04 12:13 AM
Windows Me Start/Search For Files or Folders Doesn't Work Greg Software & Applications 0 May 6th 04 02:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.