A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » Internet
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Connecting a Win98SE laptop to wireless through an XP laptop?

Old April 11th 10, 03:20 PM
Luke.Davis
External Usenet User

Default Connecting a Win98SE laptop to wireless through an XP laptop?

Can this be done? We live next door to my inlaws and pay half for broadband through their phoneline (they pay half and use it aswell...)

As i have XP and a 98SE laptops, is there any way of getting the 98SE machine to connect via the XP machine? The SE doesn't have wireless and the PMCIA port doesn't work on it, so was thinking somehow using an LAN cable to connect the 2?

If its any help, the 98SE is a Compaq Armada M700 and the XP is a Toshiba Satellite SA30 using a USB wireless adapter

Only reason for this is so the wife and i can use net at the same time...she gets impatient with me on it all the time!

Any help = much appreciation!
Old April 13th 10, 04:26 AM
JorgeA
External Usenet User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke.Davis View Post
Can this be done? We live next door to my inlaws and pay half for broadband through their phoneline (they pay half and use it aswell...)

As i have XP and a 98SE laptops, is there any way of getting the 98SE machine to connect via the XP machine? The SE doesn't have wireless and the PMCIA port doesn't work on it, so was thinking somehow using an LAN cable to connect the 2?

If its any help, the 98SE is a Compaq Armada M700 and the XP is a Toshiba Satellite SA30 using a USB wireless adapter

Only reason for this is so the wife and i can use net at the same time...she gets impatient with me on it all the time!

Any help = much appreciation!
Luke,

I don't have a lot of experience with wireless connections, so I'm shooting in the dark a bit here, but you might be able to set up a wireless router that connects both computers to the Internet in a "star" configuration (each one having its own hookup to the router). I've seen wireless routers at the store that also have physical connections -- so the idea would be to connect your XP to the router wirelessly and the 98SE via Ethernet cable.

The main issue could be getting an XP and a 98 to work together on a network. But there would be a similar issue if you wanted to use the 98SE through the XP.

Other than that, if a hardware firewall (such as a router would provide) is not essential, then you could also buy a switch that would hook up to the modem, and then connect both computers to the switch via Ethernet cable. Personally I have a Vista, a 98 tower, and a 98SE notebook all on the Internet at the same time just this way. Of course, in that case I make sure (a) that file and print sharing is turned off on all of them so that no outsiders have access, and (b) that each PC has its own software firewall and up-to-date security programs.

Of course, this all goes out the window (so to speak) if you have to run an Ethernet cable from your in-laws' into your home to connect the 98SE laptop.

Does your 98SE have a USB port? The only other idea that comes to mind is to see if there a way to connect it wirelessly via the USB, like your XP.

Hope some of this helps.