A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Setup & Installation
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

BIOS PROBLEM



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 29th 09, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default BIOS PROBLEM

HELP ME my computer is not letting me access my BIOS and when ever i start it
up it says press delete to enter setup and i do and it acts like i never
pressed it but it will boot up into windows like normal and everything else
works like normal its just that BIOS.
  #2  
Old June 29th 09, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default BIOS PROBLEM

You haven't replaced the keyboard with a USB or wireless one by any chance?
Just a thought, are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Might be a clue.

What does DevMan tell you?

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
HELP ME my computer is not letting me access my BIOS and when ever i start
it
up it says press delete to enter setup and i do and it acts like i never
pressed it but it will boot up into windows like normal and everything
else
works like normal its just that BIOS.



  #3  
Old July 6th 09, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default BIOS PROBLEM

Actually no it is still and will always be a PS/2 keybord and i am able to
boot into safe mode and choose a bootabel device but just not the flash drive
like i want so what i was going tho do was when and if the computers hard
drive crashes i will always have a usb bootable medium with a clone of the
hard drive in it so when it does crash i was going to go into the bios to
change it to boot from USB E:

and if this helps the bios is V1.0A

it says award winning bios

"Mart" wrote:

You haven't replaced the keyboard with a USB or wireless one by any chance?
Just a thought, are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Might be a clue.

What does DevMan tell you?

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
HELP ME my computer is not letting me access my BIOS and when ever i start
it
up it says press delete to enter setup and i do and it acts like i never
pressed it but it will boot up into windows like normal and everything
else
works like normal its just that BIOS.




  #4  
Old July 6th 09, 07:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default BIOS PROBLEM

Not knowing the make or model motherboard, the bios version doesn't really
help, however it would appear that yours doesn't permit, or rather isn't
capable of, booting from a usb flash device or probably any usb device come
to that. Only a few recent motherboards are capable of booting from a usb
flash drive and they are in a small minority.
--
Mike Maltby



Justin wrote:

Actually no it is still and will always be a PS/2 keybord and i am
able to boot into safe mode and choose a bootabel device but just not
the flash drive like i want so what i was going tho do was when and
if the computers hard drive crashes i will always have a usb bootable
medium with a clone of the hard drive in it so when it does crash i
was going to go into the bios to change it to boot from USB E:

and if this helps the bios is V1.0A

it says award winning bios


  #5  
Old July 6th 09, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default BIOS PROBLEM

Justin wrote :-
.. no it is ... a PS/2 keybord


OK, not a keyboard driver issue then.

You say you have an Award BIOS but are you sure that access is by using the
DEL key? Some Award BIOS's are accessed using Ctrl + Alt + Esc. Are you
attempting to access the BIOS at the correct moment - immediately following
power-on?
If that fails too, see Mike Stevens' page
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
it might be worth trying any of the other various combinations shown on his
page, or try any others shown on the WIM's BIOS page
http://www.wimsbios.com/faq/howtoget...mputerbios.jsp

If you are certain that DEL is the correct key (e.g. you've used it before
to access your BIOS) then are you now certain that the DEL key is still
functioning correctly? - A faulty keyboard perhaps? May be worth
substituting to prove it.

Mart


"Justin" wrote in message
...
Actually no it is still and will always be a PS/2 keybord and i am able to
boot into safe mode and choose a bootabel device but just not the flash
drive
like i want so what i was going tho do was when and if the computers hard
drive crashes i will always have a usb bootable medium with a clone of the
hard drive in it so when it does crash i was going to go into the bios to
change it to boot from USB E:

and if this helps the bios is V1.0A

it says award winning bios

"Mart" wrote:

You haven't replaced the keyboard with a USB or wireless one by any
chance?
Just a thought, are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Might be a clue.

What does DevMan tell you?

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
HELP ME my computer is not letting me access my BIOS and when ever i
start
it
up it says press delete to enter setup and i do and it acts like i
never
pressed it but it will boot up into windows like normal and everything
else
works like normal its just that BIOS.






  #6  
Old July 7th 09, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default BIOS PROBLEM

i am pressing it at the right time right when it says to and also i have
accesed it before by pressing DELETE key

"Mart" wrote:

Justin wrote :-
.. no it is ... a PS/2 keybord


OK, not a keyboard driver issue then.

You say you have an Award BIOS but are you sure that access is by using the
DEL key? Some Award BIOS's are accessed using Ctrl + Alt + Esc. Are you
attempting to access the BIOS at the correct moment - immediately following
power-on?
If that fails too, see Mike Stevens' page
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
it might be worth trying any of the other various combinations shown on his
page, or try any others shown on the WIM's BIOS page
http://www.wimsbios.com/faq/howtoget...mputerbios.jsp

If you are certain that DEL is the correct key (e.g. you've used it before
to access your BIOS) then are you now certain that the DEL key is still
functioning correctly? - A faulty keyboard perhaps? May be worth
substituting to prove it.

Mart


"Justin" wrote in message
...
Actually no it is still and will always be a PS/2 keybord and i am able to
boot into safe mode and choose a bootabel device but just not the flash
drive
like i want so what i was going tho do was when and if the computers hard
drive crashes i will always have a usb bootable medium with a clone of the
hard drive in it so when it does crash i was going to go into the bios to
change it to boot from USB E:

and if this helps the bios is V1.0A

it says award winning bios

"Mart" wrote:

You haven't replaced the keyboard with a USB or wireless one by any
chance?
Just a thought, are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Might be a clue.

What does DevMan tell you?

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
HELP ME my computer is not letting me access my BIOS and when ever i
start
it
up it says press delete to enter setup and i do and it acts like i
never
pressed it but it will boot up into windows like normal and everything
else
works like normal its just that BIOS.






  #7  
Old July 7th 09, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default BIOS PROBLEM

Justin,

Please make your mind up. One moment you appear to be saying that you
cannot access the bios and the next complaining that having accessed the
bios you cannot set the boot order to start with/include a flash drive. For
the sake of those who might still want to try and help, be clear about what
your problem is and stop muddling things by jumping from one problem to
another. Stick to one problem and if/when that is solved close the thread
and if you have another problem move on and start another thread.
--
Mike Maltby



Justin wrote:

i am pressing it at the right time right when it says to and also i
have accesed it before by pressing DELETE key


  #8  
Old July 7th 09, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default BIOS PROBLEM

sorry but i have before accessed my bios by pressing the DELETE key but now i
can not any more

"Mike M" wrote:

Justin,

Please make your mind up. One moment you appear to be saying that you
cannot access the bios and the next complaining that having accessed the
bios you cannot set the boot order to start with/include a flash drive. For
the sake of those who might still want to try and help, be clear about what
your problem is and stop muddling things by jumping from one problem to
another. Stick to one problem and if/when that is solved close the thread
and if you have another problem move on and start another thread.
--
Mike Maltby



Justin wrote:

i am pressing it at the right time right when it says to and also i
have accesed it before by pressing DELETE key



  #9  
Old July 7th 09, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default BIOS PROBLEM

Justin wrote:

sorry but i have before accessed my bios by pressing the DELETE key
but now i can not any more


If you can access the bios from safe mode (a previous post of yours in this
thread) then stick with that and forget about using DEL and move on to the
next problem but start a new thread.
--
Mike Maltby



  #10  
Old July 8th 09, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Ben Myers[_4_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 60
Default BIOS PROBLEM

"Justin" wrote in message ...
HELP ME my computer is not letting me access my BIOS and when ever i start it
up it says press delete to enter setup and i do and it acts like i never
pressed it but it will boot up into windows like normal and everything else
works like normal its just that BIOS.


Try a different keyboard. Also, if the keyboard and mouse both use PS/2
connectors, make sure they are not reversed.

Ben
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIOS problem McDermotts General 8 September 1st 07 03:42 AM
Bios problem bobk General 6 December 12th 05 03:59 PM
BIOS problem Brian Gotjunk Setup & Installation 13 March 18th 05 09:21 PM
Bios Problem??? Doug Plug & Play 1 June 14th 04 12:53 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.