A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Adding extra hard drive

Old January 4th 06, 09:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Default Adding extra hard drive

Right, the silver lining is the second time will be a breeze-- IF you can remember it all & size doesn't get in the way! As far as size, I guess it MAY matter for you, as you are storing videos. How many GB's do you think you need for that? What is the largest size you know the machine's BIOS will take? What is it's model, purchase date & BIOS date? (Some can tell from that.) I think 32 GB is the last barrier for BIOS. If BIOS can understand that many, likely it will take any size. Then, there is only the consideration of whether Windows will understand greater than 128 GB in any single partition.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR

"Pebble" wrote in message ...
Well I think I spoke to soon PCR, just scandisked the new drive (which took an age) I didn't get past the 6th bad cluster error figured the drive is about to bum out on me! So am on the lookout for another drive to add, this time I'll pay the money as this one was given to me, and installing it should be a breeze, that is if the master/slave primary/secondary info holds true!
I may be back with many questions . . . . . .
1st one being, is there a size limit for a second hard drive on my system, or any compatability issues to watch for?
Thanks PCR
--
Name: MULTIMEDIA 800AU*
Microprocessor: Intel Pentium Ill 800MHz
RAM: 256MB
Video Memory: 8MB (VooDoo 3 2000)
Hard Disk: 20GB+stuffed 10GB second drive
Operating System: Windows '98 SE
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)
"PCR" wrote in message ...
Me too! Well, if you have only 10 GB on the new one, I think because video files are large you'll NOT want to partition it. 3rd party apps do let you repartition without loss of data, though, so there really is no hurry to decide. The only thing is watch for is Registry ties to drive letters. Adding/deleting partitions could upset it. I guess careful planning would avoid the problem. (But I'm not quite sure I've done it in my own case!)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=51978
Drive Letter Order

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

Not sure those are all current.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
Good to see I'm not just talking to myself then! Is it really necessary to partition it, as I'm only using it for storage of video files?
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

Some thread followers appear to have passed away, Pebble, BUT I will forward it to their grave sites! I GUESS you did best making them both a separate master. I DO have a WD 20 set as master to a Maxtor 40, with no easily discernable problem, though.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

This is really for the thread followers,
Well, installed the WD drive as you said Ron, as a master on secondary IDE channel and works like charm, so far so good.
--
* * Pebble in Boulder * *
who would never underestimate the humble floppy
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
I remember something about maxtor and western digital not getting along to well in an old google post (could've been yours Jonny?) but will try as Ron suggests.
Yeah, I know the system could do with a bit more oomph for video work, but I run a pretty lean system and lightning speeds has never been a concern of mine. The capture is spot on, and when edited and recorded onto DVD seems top quality to me.
What I'd really like to do is install windows 98SE onto a much bigger drive than the one I have but the disc I have is some form of OEM that will only install onto this particular packard bell, (I think)
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Ron Martell" wrote in message ...
"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,
I need more disk space, mainly for video editing and have got hold of a second hand hard drive. It's a Western digital WD100 10Gb. Is it compatible with my drive and system? Have been reading how to physically install a second hard drive in my system specs that came with computer, and have looked in the tower to see if there is room and checked out the jumper settings, read all about master/slave changing in the bios etc. It would be a bummer to get it in to find it incompatable. I have to format and partition it don't I? I don't want to boot from it, just purely storage.
Any tips and advice welcome.

To avoid drive compatibility issues between the WD and Maxtor drives
connect the WD drive as the Master drive on the secondary IDE channel.

Change the jumper on your CDROM/DVD drive to Slave and connect it to
either the Primary or Secondary IDE channel, whichever is most
practical based on cable length and position. If you have two such
drives jumper both as Slave and connect one to each IDE channel.

Note that connecting a CD/DVD as Slave does not affect the hard drive
jumper setting vis-a-vis "stand alone Master driver" and "Master drive
with Slave present". When a hard drive and a CD/DVD drive are
connected as Master and Slave on the same IDE channel the hard drive
jumper is set to the "Stand alone Master drive" setting if that is
availabe (WD drives usually have this).

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
Old January 5th 06, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Thanks PCR, think I've found a 40GB hard drive, it's a Western Digital, so guess will have the same slave/master setup I used for the crap WD10GB one. Bios will handle 40GB. I notice you have a maxtor and Western Digital in your system, but my Maxtor is the master on primary whereas yours is slave (?) Would like to reinstall windows on the bigger WD40GB drive but this packard bell won't let windows go on any other but the maxtor 20GB that came in the original package - I think that is the case anyway!
Thanks for your help PCR - I'm off to rip out the crap WD10GB and in with the 40GB when I get it.
--
Right, the silver lining is the second time will be a breeze-- IF you can remember it all & size doesn't get in the way! As far as size, I guess it MAY matter for you, as you are storing videos. How many GB's do you think you need for that? What is the largest size you know the machine's BIOS will take? What is it's model, purchase date & BIOS date? (Some can tell from that.) I think 32 GB is the last barrier for BIOS. If BIOS can understand that many, likely it will take any size. Then, there is only the consideration of whether Windows will understand greater than 128 GB in any single partition.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Well I think I spoke to soon PCR, just scandisked the new drive (which took an age) I didn't get past the 6th bad cluster error figured the drive is about to bum out on me! So am on the lookout for another drive to add, this time I'll pay the money as this one was given to me, and installing it should be a breeze, that is if the master/slave primary/secondary info holds true!
1st one being, is there a size limit for a second hard drive on my system, or any compatability issues to watch for?
Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)
Me too! Well, if you have only 10 GB on the new one, I think because video files are large you'll NOT want to partition it. 3rd party apps do let you repartition without loss of data, though, so there really is no hurry to decide. The only thing is watch for is Registry ties to drive letters. Adding/deleting partitions could upset it. I guess careful planning would avoid the problem. (But I'm not quite sure I've done it in my own case!)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
Good to see I'm not just talking to myself then! Is it really necessary to partition it, as I'm only using it for storage of video files?
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

Some thread followers appear to have passed away, Pebble, BUT I will forward it to their grave sites! I GUESS you did best making them both a separate master. I DO have a WD 20 set as master to a Maxtor 40, with no easily discernable problem, though.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Well, installed the WD drive as you said Ron, as a master on secondary IDE channel and works like charm, so far so good.
--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
I remember something about maxtor and western digital not getting along to well in an old google post (could've been yours Jonny?) but will try as Ron suggests.
Yeah, I know the system could do with a bit more oomph for video work, but I run a pretty lean system and lightning speeds has never been a concern of mine. The capture is spot on, and when edited and recorded onto DVD seems top quality to me.
What I'd really like to do is install windows 98SE onto a much bigger drive than the one I have but the disc I have is some form of OEM that will only install onto this particular packard bell, (I think)
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,
I need more disk space, mainly for video editing and have got hold of a second hand hard drive. It's a Western digital WD100 10Gb. Is it compatible with my drive and system? Have been reading how to physically install a second hard drive in my system specs that came with computer, and have looked in the tower to see if there is room and checked out the jumper settings, read all about master/slave changing in the bios etc. It would be a bummer to get it in to find it incompatable. I have to format and partition it don't I? I don't want to boot from it, just purely storage.

Good luck

--
Old January 6th 06, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Yea, I am the other way around-- 20 GB WD master, 40 GB Maxtor slave. But my experience is only this machine, a Compaq 7470. The warnings of the others may yet apply. The WD had to be set to Dual (what I call "Master with Slave"), instead of Single (Master Alone on the Cable). I thought you said you put the 10 GB one on a separate cable, & it worked like a charm? Sounds like that could be better, anyway. Were you just trying to make Martell feel good?

I don't know why a BIOS would only want to boot your maxtor 20GB. Can it be, when you tried another, you didn't make one of the partitions Active?

It might be best to keep the Maxtor where it is, though. A simple plan...

(a) 6 GB partition on it for Windows.
(b) 6 GB partition for certain movable work folders & raw downloads.
(c) 8 GB partition for those video files, if they take that much.

Occasionally, copy them to the 40 GB drive with something good on a father/grandfather basis. That means you'll always have TWO backups of the partitions on the 20 GB drive, one older than the other.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR, think I've found a 40GB hard drive, it's a Western Digital, so guess will have the same slave/master setup I used for the crap WD10GB one. Bios will handle 40GB. I notice you have a maxtor and Western Digital in your system, but my Maxtor is the master on primary whereas yours is slave (?) Would like to reinstall windows on the bigger WD40GB drive but this packard bell won't let windows go on any other but the maxtor 20GB that came in the original package - I think that is the case anyway!
Thanks for your help PCR - I'm off to rip out the crap WD10GB and in with the 40GB when I get it.
--

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,

Good luck

--
Old January 7th 06, 04:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Hi PCR,
Well, been through the hoops with this new drive, actually went for the 80GB seagate barracuda - I was greedy "but the 80GB hard drive is only another $7.00." smiled the smarmy salesman. I'm thinking the size doesn't agree with the bios. I'm running it as Master on the second ide channel with the CDR as slave, which is just how I had the crap WD10GB set up, which worked.
When I put it in, I had no power, pressed the power button, the 2 little hard drive lights flashed then nothing! I then hooked up the power that went to floppy onto the one that didn't appear to work (the one that plugged into original 20GB Maxtor) and all is OK though now have no floppy drive!!
I've jumpered the new Seagate 80GB as master on secondary ide channel 'cos the blurb on the drive says "set the jumper to cable select if using an Ultra ATA cable which I don't think I am (is that the little 4 pin thingy that hangs off the drive power plug?) Smarmy salesman did give me a new ide cable, which looks just like the old cable, but shinier, with one blue end (motherboard end?) Had bios to auto detect, if I try user settings to input cylinder size etc, I can't type the cylinder head 155061 lets me do 15506, but beeps on the last digit - I got this info from the lasalys everest which can see the drive, but when I go to my computer it doesn't show. It's there in device manager, but with no drive letter.

The only jumper selections that I have a

1 master on, slave off (One jumper, far left)
2 cable select (One jumper second left)
3 limits drive capacity to 32 GB (Two jumpers one far left and another far right) - which could be the one to have if bios is being precious about the size???????

Am leaving everything as is until I hear from you PCR. I also need that floppy drive, can I set up power from anywhere else?

I don't know why a BIOS would only want to boot your maxtor 20GB. Can it be, when you tried another, you didn't make one of the partitions Active?

I don't know about this, but the packard bell package came with pre-installed programmes and things on the drive and I think the 2 master discs I have are an OEM version that won't install on anything but the original drive, although I haven't tried installing windows on anything else, but kept with the original installation??
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Hard Disk: 20GB + 80GB *INVISIBLE* seagate 8-(
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Yea, I am the other way around-- 20 GB WD master, 40 GB Maxtor slave. But my experience is only this machine, a Compaq 7470. The warnings of the others may yet apply. The WD had to be set to Dual (what I call "Master with Slave"), instead of Single (Master Alone on the Cable). I thought you said you put the 10 GB one on a separate cable, & it worked like a charm? Sounds like that could be better, anyway. Were you just trying to make Martell feel good?

Occasionally, copy them to the 40 GB drive with something good on a father/grandfather basis. That means you'll always have TWO backups of the partitions on the 20 GB drive, one older than the other.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,

Good luck

--
Old January 7th 06, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

I'd have gone bigger too, under that circumstance. I've only been inside two computers, & I wish someone else will step in, BUT...

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...t380817as.html

I'm looking through that now, to see what may have gone wrong. One thing it says is there are no jumper settings to fool with, except, yea, the ones that will limit it to 32 GB.

| I'm thinking the size doesn't agree with the bios.

I believe, if the BIOS saw all of the 40 GB drive, it should see the 80 GB drive. Doesn't your BIOS have an "Auto-detect" option, instead of having to input numbers? After that...

(a) "START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt"
(b) FDISK /Status
(c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
results.

C:\FDISK /Status
Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
1 19092 8298 57%
C: 7996
E: 2798
2 38169 100% Full drive
D: 7996 One partition
F: 7996
G: 7996
H: 7996
I: 6187

| I'm running it as Master on the second ide channel with the CDR as slave

| The only jumper selections that I have a

| 1 master on, slave off (One jumper, far left)
| 2 cable select (One jumper second left)
| 3 limits drive capacity to 32 GB (Two jumpers one far left
| and another far right) - which could be the one to have
| if bios is being precious about the size???????

Well, you don't fool with those! But, yea, to limit it, use those separate ones. I hope you don't have to do that! Then, a flash of your BIOS might be the best answer.

| When I put it in, I had no power, pressed the power button,
| the 2 little hard drive lights flashed then nothing! I then hooked
| up the power that went to floppy onto the one that didn't appear
| to work (the one that plugged into original 20GB Maxtor) and all
| is OK though now have no floppy drive!!

That doesn't seem right. I'm thinking, but really wish someone else would actually already know the answer. Did you try plugging the "bad" power connector into the floppy? Where does the floppy data cable plug into? Look through those installation instructions at the site I posted, too.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
Well, been through the hoops with this new drive, actually went for the 80GB seagate barracuda - I was greedy "but the 80GB hard drive is only another $7.00." smiled the smarmy salesman. I'm thinking the size doesn't agree with the bios. I'm running it as Master on the second ide channel with the CDR as slave, which is just how I had the crap WD10GB set up, which worked.
When I put it in, I had no power, pressed the power button, the 2 little hard drive lights flashed then nothing! I then hooked up the power that went to floppy onto the one that didn't appear to work (the one that plugged into original 20GB Maxtor) and all is OK though now have no floppy drive!!
I've jumpered the new Seagate 80GB as master on secondary ide channel 'cos the blurb on the drive says "set the jumper to cable select if using an Ultra ATA cable which I don't think I am (is that the little 4 pin thingy that hangs off the drive power plug?) Smarmy salesman did give me a new ide cable, which looks just like the old cable, but shinier, with one blue end (motherboard end?) Had bios to auto detect, if I try user settings to input cylinder size etc, I can't type the cylinder head 155061 lets me do 15506, but beeps on the last digit - I got this info from the lasalys everest which can see the drive, but when I go to my computer it doesn't show. It's there in device manager, but with no drive letter.

3 limits drive capacity to 32 GB (Two jumpers one far left and another far right) - which could be the one to have if bios is being precious about the size???????

Am leaving everything as is until I hear from you PCR. I also need that floppy drive, can I set up power from anywhere else?

I don't know about this, but the packard bell package came with pre-installed programmes and things on the drive and I think the 2 master discs I have are an OEM version that won't install on anything but the original drive, although I haven't tried installing windows on anything else, but kept with the original installation??
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,

Good luck

--
Old January 8th 06, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Hey PCR,
All is OK!! After saying in my last post I wouldn't fool with it until I heard from you, well I did fool with it. Swapped the power cables around and Hey Presto have a floppy drive again! (Maybe not plugging in properly first time? 8-)
New 80GB drive is now recognised and in good working order after downloading Disk wizard for windows from seagate site makes formatting and partitioning a breeze.
Bios did auto detect, but only Everest knew it was there. My computer window didn't show it.
So now is all formatted and I partitioned as one big one, but may change that when I decide on what else to do with it. There is an option with the disk wizard to copy entire drives over to it, but I don't know about trying that, hasn't windows got some aversion to copying files larger than 2GB or something? My video files are larger than that.
As always, thanks so much for your help PCR.
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

I'd have gone bigger too, under that circumstance. I've only been inside two computers, & I wish someone else will step in, BUT...

I'm looking through that now, to see what may have gone wrong. One thing it says is there are no jumper settings to fool with, except, yea, the ones that will limit it to 32 GB.

I believe, if the BIOS saw all of the 40 GB drive, it should see the 80 GB drive. Doesn't your BIOS have an "Auto-detect" option, instead of having to input numbers? After that...

(b) FDISK /Status
results.

1 19092 8298 57%
2 38169 100% Full drive

Well, you don't fool with those! But, yea, to limit it, use those separate ones. I hope you don't have to do that! Then, a flash of your BIOS might be the best answer.

That doesn't seem right. I'm thinking, but really wish someone else would actually already know the answer. Did you try plugging the "bad" power connector into the floppy? Where does the floppy data cable plug into? Look through those installation instructions at the site I posted, too.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,

--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,

Good luck

--
Old January 8th 06, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Phew! Glad to hear it! You are welcome. That's right, My Computer wouldn't show it, until it had a partition. FDISK would show it, though, so that it could be partitioned. You didn't need to set any jumper? That was a surprise to me, reading there was no jumper for that hard drive! I may have to adjust a Master Post or two! So, let us see the partitions...

(b) FDISK /Status
results.

| hasn't windows got some aversion to copying files larger than 2GB or
| something? My video files are larger than that.

Maybe. I seem to recall something about that. Explorer may not be able to handle it, but perhaps Windows DOS (in a box) can do it. I don't quite recall. Doesn't your video app have a way to handle them? Something that can copy or image on an entire partition basis is possibly the way to go.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hey PCR,
All is OK!! After saying in my last post I wouldn't fool with it until I heard from you, well I did fool with it. Swapped the power cables around and Hey Presto have a floppy drive again! (Maybe not plugging in properly first time? 8-)
New 80GB drive is now recognised and in good working order after downloading Disk wizard for windows from seagate site makes formatting and partitioning a breeze.
Bios did auto detect, but only Everest knew it was there. My computer window didn't show it.
So now is all formatted and I partitioned as one big one, but may change that when I decide on what else to do with it. There is an option with the disk wizard to copy entire drives over to it, but I don't know about trying that, hasn't windows got some aversion to copying files larger than 2GB or something? My video files are larger than that.
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

(b) FDISK /Status
results.

1 19092 8298 57%
2 38169 100% Full drive

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,

--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,

Good luck

--
Old January 9th 06, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Hi PCR,
Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I did set the jumpers on the new Seagate 80GB drive, I have it connected as master on the secondary channel, CDROM drive is slave. That link you posted was actually to a different drive, min is ST380011A.

Fixed Disk Drive Status
1 19540 100%
C: 13006
D: 6534
2 10781 8 100%
E: 10773
(1 MByte = 1048576 bytes)

This is after partitioning with the disk wizard programme I downloaded from Seagate - I just made one big partition for now, until I decide what I'll be doing with this drive, besides video work. It gave me an option to set ?cluster size ? I chose 32Kb as I read somewhere that larger size is good for large size files, less slack space . . . or something along those lines. It also seemed to be the default, so stayed with it.
Until I had formatted and partitioned it with the seagate tool, I couldn't see it in my computer window to format/partition it and I'm sure fdisk /status didn't see it. Lavalys Everest home edition did see it though. Thats a really good tool and free!
I do have an older version of Drive Image which would do an image of system on new drive - but after my last fiasco with that programme when I was stuck in the black screen for a week, I'm a bit reluctant Only got out of that one with this NG's help. That was completely operator error though, I'm sure the programme's OK.
I'll just have the one partition for new on this new drive, I'm not sure how I want it set up, without totally confusing myself with lots of different drive letters.

Check this site out PCR, I found it helpful before putting screwdriver to case the first time !!
http://www.kids-online.net/kidsframe.html Check out the 'click'n'learn' tab on left 8-)

Thanks PCR.
--

Phew! Glad to hear it! You are welcome. That's right, My Computer wouldn't show it, until it had a partition. FDISK would show it, though, so that it could be partitioned. You didn't need to set any jumper? That was a surprise to me, reading there was no jumper for that hard drive! I may have to adjust a Master Post or two! So, let us see the partitions...

(b) FDISK /Status
results.

| hasn't windows got some aversion to copying files larger than 2GB or
| something? My video files are larger than that.

Maybe. I seem to recall something about that. Explorer may not be able to handle it, but perhaps Windows DOS (in a box) can do it. I don't quite recall. Doesn't your video app have a way to handle them? Something that can copy or image on an entire partition basis is possibly the way to go.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hey PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

(b) FDISK /Status
results.

1 19092 8298 57%
2 38169 100% Full drive

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,

--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Thanks PCR
--
OE v 5.50.4807.1700
IE v 5.50.4807.2300IC
Firewire\Ethenet 8-)

Drive Letter Order

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

--
Thanks Jonny and Ron,
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

"Pebble" wrote:

Hi all,

Good luck

--
Old January 9th 06, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Oh. Sorry about that link, then. This is it...
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,581,00.html

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...cuda7200pm.pdf
Yea, the jumpers are as you first said, & it would be Slave if no jumper were inserted....

Holding it with power socket to right of jumper pins...

1 Master or Single Drive (One jumper, far left)
2 Slave (no jumper inserted)
3 Master with non ATA-compatible slave (Two jumpers, far left)
4 cable select (One jumper second from left)
5 limits drive capacity to 32 GB (One jumper, far right)

Did you use the cable that came with it? Something seems wrong with your /Status. It is not showing an 80 GB drive, just one of 20 GB & one of 10 GB!

That site you posted is cute.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,
Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I did set the jumpers on the new Seagate 80GB drive, I have it connected as master on the secondary channel, CDROM drive is slave. That link you posted was actually to a different drive, min is ST380011A.

Fixed Disk Drive Status
1 19540 100%
2 10781 8 100%

This is after partitioning with the disk wizard programme I downloaded from Seagate - I just made one big partition for now, until I decide what I'll be doing with this drive, besides video work. It gave me an option to set ?cluster size ? I chose 32Kb as I read somewhere that larger size is good for large size files, less slack space . . . or something along those lines. It also seemed to be the default, so stayed with it.
Until I had formatted and partitioned it with the seagate tool, I couldn't see it in my computer window to format/partition it and I'm sure fdisk /status didn't see it. Lavalys Everest home edition did see it though. Thats a really good tool and free!
I do have an older version of Drive Image which would do an image of system on new drive - but after my last fiasco with that programme when I was stuck in the black screen for a week, I'm a bit reluctant Only got out of that one with this NG's help. That was completely operator error though, I'm sure the programme's OK.
I'll just have the one partition for new on this new drive, I'm not sure how I want it set up, without totally confusing myself with lots of different drive letters.

Check this site out PCR, I found it helpful before putting screwdriver to case the first time !!
http://www.kids-online.net/kidsframe.html Check out the 'click'n'learn' tab on left 8-)

Thanks PCR.
--

....snip
Old January 9th 06, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Hi PCR,
Yeah, noticed that about Fdisk - what's that all about? Time to extract another copy of it from CABS? Thought maybe it was showing the crap 10GB disk (which is now in pieces in the corner, wanted to see what it looked like)
Also, if I use the 'drive copy' option that the seagate disk wiz offers and copy C to E (new disk) would it be bootable - not that I want to boot from that, was just wondering.
--
B-)
Pebble in Boulder

Oh. Sorry about that link, then. This is it...
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/...81,581,00.html

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...cuda7200pm.pdf
Yea, the jumpers are as you first said, & it would be Slave if no jumper were inserted....

Holding it with power socket to right of jumper pins...

1 Master or Single Drive (One jumper, far left)
2 Slave (no jumper inserted)
3 Master with non ATA-compatible slave (Two jumpers, far left)
4 cable select (One jumper second from left)
5 limits drive capacity to 32 GB (One jumper, far right)

Did you use the cable that came with it? Something seems wrong with your /Status. It is not showing an 80 GB drive, just one of 20 GB & one of 10 GB!

That site you posted is cute.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
PCR

Hi PCR,

Fixed Disk Drive Status
1 19540 100%
2 10781 8 100%

Thanks PCR.
--

....snip