A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 26th 19, 07:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.windows-10
bilsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

I only want to read files with the drive. This is on a newer Dell
laptop. I am booting up a FAT12 image of a Win ME DOS system. It is
IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM with various DOS commands on it. I have
MSCDEX.EXE from Win ME.

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.

I need a driver for use with MSCDEX.EXE. Does any body know what might
work? TIA. Bill S.
  #2  
Old April 26th 19, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
JJ[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:15:49 -0700, bilsch wrote:
I only want to read files with the drive. This is on a newer Dell
laptop. I am booting up a FAT12 image of a Win ME DOS system. It is
IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM with various DOS commands on it. I have
MSCDEX.EXE from Win ME.

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.

I need a driver for use with MSCDEX.EXE. Does any body know what might
work? TIA. Bill S.


For DOS, you'll have to enable legacy drive mode in the system
BIOS/firmware. Then use OAKCDROM.SYS which comes from WinME. The file can be
copied from below path if the FAT12 image doesn't have it yet.

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD
  #3  
Old April 30th 19, 05:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
bilsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

On 4/26/2019 6:55 AM, JJ wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:15:49 -0700, bilsch wrote:
I only want to read files with the drive. This is on a newer Dell
laptop. I am booting up a FAT12 image of a Win ME DOS system. It is
IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM with various DOS commands on it. I have
MSCDEX.EXE from Win ME.

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.

I need a driver for use with MSCDEX.EXE. Does any body know what might
work? TIA. Bill S.


For DOS, you'll have to enable legacy drive mode in the system
BIOS/firmware. Then use OAKCDROM.SYS which comes from WinME. The file can be
copied from below path if the FAT12 image doesn't have it yet.

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.

My files look like this. No CDROM driver works.

Config.sys

DeviceHigh=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=d011v200.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

dos=high,umb
files=10
buffers=10
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z


autoexec.bat

@ECHO ON
path=a:\
LoadHigh DOSKEY.COM
LoadHigh MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /S /K /L:X /M:12
mouse.com


  #4  
Old April 30th 19, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Paul[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

bilsch wrote:
On 4/26/2019 6:55 AM, JJ wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:15:49 -0700, bilsch wrote:
I only want to read files with the drive. This is on a newer Dell
laptop. I am booting up a FAT12 image of a Win ME DOS system. It is
IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM with various DOS commands on it. I have
MSCDEX.EXE from Win ME.

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.

I need a driver for use with MSCDEX.EXE. Does any body know what might
work? TIA. Bill S.


For DOS, you'll have to enable legacy drive mode in the system
BIOS/firmware. Then use OAKCDROM.SYS which comes from WinME. The file
can be
copied from below path if the FAT12 image doesn't have it yet.

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.

My files look like this. No CDROM driver works.

Config.sys

DeviceHigh=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=d011v200.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

dos=high,umb
files=10
buffers=10
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z


autoexec.bat

@ECHO ON
path=a:\
LoadHigh DOSKEY.COM
LoadHigh MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /S /K /L:X /M:12
mouse.com


A modern laptop probably defaults to AHCI
on the SATA ports.

Older OSes need "Compatible IDE" emulation mode,
to fool the OS into thinking the older ports are
present and that the optical drive is a ribbon cable
IDE drive.

How this works, is the registers for the ports, "appear"
in "I/O space", rather than at a PCI bar (base address register).
The Compatible mode uses INT14 and INT15. The older OSes
know exactly where to look for things like that.

It's up to the hardware (Southbridge or PCH) to have
those modes, if there is an intention to run older OSes.

I've done what you're trying to do, but on older equipment.
The ICH5R on my P4C800-E Deluxe had both SATA and IDE cabling,
and it did have the necessary option for Compatible IDE,
where the control and data register were in the I/O space,
and accessible by I/O instructions.

This is an example in a Virtual Machine, showing
the mode an older OS might use.

https://i.postimg.cc/RC1mzYKj/compatible-ide.gif

It's not a trivial matter to get all these details right,
and the more modern the equipment, the harder it is to do.

Paul
  #5  
Old April 30th 19, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
bilsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

On 4/29/2019 10:10 PM, Paul wrote:
bilsch wrote:
On 4/26/2019 6:55 AM, JJ wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:15:49 -0700, bilsch wrote:
I only want to read files with the drive.* This is on a newer Dell
laptop. I am booting up a FAT12 image of a Win ME DOS system.* It is
IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM with various DOS commands on it.* I have
MSCDEX.EXE from Win ME.

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.

I need a driver for use with MSCDEX.EXE.* Does any body know what might
work?** TIA.** Bill S.

For DOS, you'll have to enable legacy drive mode in the system
BIOS/firmware. Then use OAKCDROM.SYS which comes from WinME. The file
can be
copied from below path if the FAT12 image doesn't have it yet.

** C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.

My files look like this.* No CDROM driver works.

Config.sys

DeviceHigh=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=d011v200.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
rem device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

dos=high,umb
files=10
buffers=10
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z


autoexec.bat

@ECHO ON
path=a:\
LoadHigh DOSKEY.COM
LoadHigh MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001* /S /K /L:X /M:12
mouse.com


A modern laptop probably defaults to AHCI
on the SATA ports.

Older OSes need "Compatible IDE" emulation mode,
to fool the OS into thinking the older ports are
present and that the optical drive is a ribbon cable
IDE drive.

How this works, is the registers for the ports, "appear"
in "I/O space", rather than at a PCI bar (base address register).
The Compatible mode uses INT14 and INT15. The older OSes
know exactly where to look for things like that.

It's up to the hardware (Southbridge or PCH) to have
those modes, if there is an intention to run older OSes.

I've done what you're trying to do, but on older equipment.
The ICH5R on my P4C800-E Deluxe had both SATA and IDE cabling,
and it did have the necessary option for Compatible IDE,
where the control and data register were in the I/O space,
and accessible by I/O instructions.

This is an example in a Virtual Machine, showing
the mode an older OS might use.

https://i.postimg.cc/RC1mzYKj/compatible-ide.gif

It's not a trivial matter to get all these details right,
and the more modern the equipment, the harder it is to do.

** Paul


Thanks for the info Paul. I think it probably cant be done. You saved
me from wasting (more) time.
  #6  
Old April 30th 19, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
JJ[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 36
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 21:22:00 -0700, bilsch wrote:

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.


I haven't seen any, but there a possibility that the legacy/compatibility
drive mode is not supported by some computers (for the sake of reducing cost
to make them).

What's the model number and/or name of you Dell laptop?
  #7  
Old May 2nd 19, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
bilsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

On 4/30/2019 3:51 AM, JJ wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 21:22:00 -0700, bilsch wrote:

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.


I haven't seen any, but there a possibility that the legacy/compatibility
drive mode is not supported by some computers (for the sake of reducing cost
to make them).

What's the model number and/or name of you Dell laptop?

Dell Inspiron 15 3565

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.
  #8  
Old May 2nd 19, 08:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Paul[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

bilsch wrote:
On 4/30/2019 3:51 AM, JJ wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 21:22:00 -0700, bilsch wrote:

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.


I haven't seen any, but there a possibility that the legacy/compatibility
drive mode is not supported by some computers (for the sake of
reducing cost
to make them).

What's the model number and/or name of you Dell laptop?

Dell Inspiron 15 3565

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.


https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...g/td-p/5149207

https://vjauj58549.i.lithium.com/com...416e162ec.jpeg

Press F2 early after startup, as it may allow entry into
the BIOS screen.

The BIOS type is "APTIO" brand.

There is an entry there "SATA Operation" in the picture.
It is shown in the picture as AHCI. Check there to see
what other options are available.

RAID (not likely, module code removed)
AHCI
Compatible IDE ?

My experience with DVD drives, is that older OSes (and their
drivers) may not know what a DVD drive is. And this can account
for booting problems, or problems accessing the device.

To get Linux on my 440BX chipset machine, I had to load it
on a hard drive first, then connect the hard drive to the
computer. Using this method, I was able to bypass the
inability to read/boot from DVD drive. A CD drive works fine,
but not a lot of medias now come on CD sized discs.

Make note of what you change in the BIOS, because you're
going to need to fix that, before booting your
other OSes.

Based on that picture, your BIOS appears to be "full featured",
as the BIOS screen has a total of five tabs.

Paul
  #9  
Old May 4th 19, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
bilsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default OT. Win ME DOS driver for modern DVD drive

On 5/2/2019 12:44 AM, Paul wrote:
bilsch wrote:
On 4/30/2019 3:51 AM, JJ wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 21:22:00 -0700, bilsch wrote:

I don't seem to have such a setting in BIOS.

I haven't seen any, but there a possibility that the
legacy/compatibility
drive mode is not supported by some computers (for the sake of
reducing cost
to make them).

What's the model number and/or name of you Dell laptop?

Dell Inspiron 15 3565

The DVD drive is:
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N.


https://www.dell.com/community/Lapto...g/td-p/5149207



https://vjauj58549.i.lithium.com/com...416e162ec.jpeg


Press F2 early after startup, as it may allow entry into
the BIOS screen.

The BIOS type is "APTIO" brand.

There is an entry there "SATA Operation" in the picture.
It is shown in the picture as AHCI. Check there to see
what other options are available.

** RAID (not likely, module code removed)
** AHCI
** Compatible IDE ?

My experience with DVD drives, is that older OSes (and their
drivers) may not know what a DVD drive is. And this can account
for booting problems, or problems accessing the device.

To get Linux on my 440BX chipset machine, I had to load it
on a hard drive first, then connect the hard drive to the
computer. Using this method, I was able to bypass the
inability to read/boot from DVD drive. A CD drive works fine,
but not a lot of medias now come on CD sized discs.

Make note of what you change in the BIOS, because you're
going to need to fix that, before booting your
other OSes.

Based on that picture, your BIOS appears to be "full featured",
as the BIOS screen has a total of five tabs.

** Paul


My BIOS has category 'SATA Operation'.
In that category there is only one choice - AHCI. That's what is.
Nothing else. So I can try it on a different computer and see what is
there. Thanks. Bill S.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 98 in a modern world Dan General 18 August 24th 09 03:57 AM
Windows 98 in a modern world Dan General 0 July 30th 09 08:57 AM
Securing Windows 98(SE) in the Modern Age Dan General 27 November 3rd 07 05:48 PM
Installing 98se on modern hardwa Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA motherboard 98 Guy General 5 February 12th 07 04:32 AM
Modern computer case? ms General 7 April 8th 05 12:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.