A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Hardware
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CD-RW No longer functioning



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 15th 06, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
k_erin
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2
Default CD-RW No longer functioning

My CD-RW stopped working. I have no idea why. I reseated the cables to make
for sure they hadn't come loose. On boot up, the CD-RW access light comes
on, but it won't open and in the Device Manager, it isn't listed. I checked
the BIOS and it's being recognized there.

I'm wondering if the driver might have gotten deleted or corrupted? I
talked to my computer manufacturer's tech guy and he said that this CD drive
uses the generic CD-RW driver that came on Windows ME.

Any idea how I can get it??? He told me to run the Application Recovery CD,
but I can't do that if the CD drive isn't working.
  #2  
Old September 16th 06, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default CD-RW No longer functioning

CDRWs just like CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs, etc., die and the chances are that
that is what has happened.

Your problem is, IMO, unlikely to be due to the lack of a driver. One
test you can do is to boot to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy and choose
the option (3 I think) that includes CD-ROM support. When at the A:\ DOS
prompt insert a data CD (rather than an audio CD) and type
DIR D:\
If you have more than one hard disk or disk partition adjust the drive
letter (D:\) accordingly. Do you see the list of files on the CD? If yes
then the drive is OK but if not then the likelihood is that the drive has
died.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows



k_erin wrote:

My CD-RW stopped working. I have no idea why. I reseated the cables
to make for sure they hadn't come loose. On boot up, the CD-RW
access light comes on, but it won't open and in the Device Manager,
it isn't listed. I checked the BIOS and it's being recognized there.

I'm wondering if the driver might have gotten deleted or corrupted? I
talked to my computer manufacturer's tech guy and he said that this
CD drive uses the generic CD-RW driver that came on Windows ME.

Any idea how I can get it??? He told me to run the Application
Recovery CD, but I can't do that if the CD drive isn't working.


  #3  
Old September 16th 06, 12:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
k_erin
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2
Default CD-RW No longer functioning

Thanks for your reply. I'll just wait on a friend to get me a new drive. I
don't have a Win ME boot floppy, and if I did, the CD drive won't open in
order for me to insert any kind of CD.

Thanks anyways.

"Mike M" wrote:

CDRWs just like CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs, etc., die and the chances are that
that is what has happened.

Your problem is, IMO, unlikely to be due to the lack of a driver. One
test you can do is to boot to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy and choose
the option (3 I think) that includes CD-ROM support. When at the A:\ DOS
prompt insert a data CD (rather than an audio CD) and type
DIR D:\
If you have more than one hard disk or disk partition adjust the drive
letter (D:\) accordingly. Do you see the list of files on the CD? If yes
then the drive is OK but if not then the likelihood is that the drive has
died.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows



k_erin wrote:

My CD-RW stopped working. I have no idea why. I reseated the cables
to make for sure they hadn't come loose. On boot up, the CD-RW
access light comes on, but it won't open and in the Device Manager,
it isn't listed. I checked the BIOS and it's being recognized there.

I'm wondering if the driver might have gotten deleted or corrupted? I
talked to my computer manufacturer's tech guy and he said that this
CD drive uses the generic CD-RW driver that came on Windows ME.

Any idea how I can get it??? He told me to run the Application
Recovery CD, but I can't do that if the CD drive isn't working.



  #4  
Old September 16th 06, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default CD-RW No longer functioning

Try opening the drive using a straightened paper clip and inserting it in
the small round hole on the front of the drive. You may have to look
quite closely as the hole is often no more than 1mm (0.04") in diameter.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows



k_erin wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I'll just wait on a friend to get me a new
drive. I don't have a Win ME boot floppy, and if I did, the CD drive
won't open in order for me to insert any kind of CD.

Thanks anyways.


  #5  
Old August 17th 08, 01:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
r4x1ah
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1
Default CD-RW No longer functioning



"k_erin" wrote:

My CD-RW stopped working. I have no idea why. I reseated the cables to make
for sure they hadn't come loose. On boot up, the CD-RW access light comes
on, but it won't open and in the Device Manager, it isn't listed. I checked
the BIOS and it's being recognized there.

I'm wondering if the driver might have gotten deleted or corrupted? I
talked to my computer manufacturer's tech guy and he said that this CD drive
uses the generic CD-RW driver that came on Windows ME.

Any idea how I can get it??? He told me to run the Application Recovery CD,
but I can't do that if the CD drive isn't working.

  #6  
Old August 21st 08, 11:53 AM
sohel003
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 3
Default

I'm wondering if the driver might have gotten deleted or corrupted? I
talked to my computer manufacturer's tech guy and he said that this CD drive
uses the generic CD-RW driver that came on Windows ME.
__________________
link point new bands
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
P2P: "network ... no longer available" Less Entropy Networking 8 June 20th 05 08:50 PM
Longer then expected program launch AndyB General 1 April 19th 05 03:53 AM
PC No longer can connect to network Ron Networking 6 December 26th 04 06:54 PM
Network no longer available CMAR Networking 1 October 8th 04 04:25 PM
I'm no longer the Administrator of my own PC fired-by-pc General 7 July 3rd 04 01:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.