A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Major new development in Windows 98 RAM memory capability patch has beendiscovered!

Old May 18th 14, 01:22 PM posted to alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98
Hot-Text
external usenet poster

Default Cross-post test to 3 groups (was: Major new development...)

Hot-Text wrote:

| | What if he doesn't read alt.windows98?
| | Why did you remove the other 2 groups in your reply?
|
| news.aioe.org
| Say only One Group at Time
|
| I'm using AIOE. It allows 3 groups - not one.

That because thay like you
For the NewsMaster will not let me
if you have time Ask AIOE why thay make
MyNews Cleints do Post only To one group

This is a cross-posting test.

Please ignore.

(98 Guy, posting as Hot-Text)

Ask AIOE why thay make MyNews Cleints do Post only To one group

BTW, if this works, then if you really are being prevented from
cross-posting, it's either because of your IP or your newsreader:

X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
Old May 18th 14, 05:53 PM posted to alt.windows98,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,alt.comp.os.windows-98
Hot-Text
external usenet poster

Default Cross-post test to 3 groups (was: Major new development...)

Test
Old May 28th 14, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default Major new development in Windows 98 RAM memory capability patchhas been discovered!

On Friday, May 16, 2014 6:50:56 AM UTC-6, 98 Guy wrote:
Axel Berger wrote:

It's a file that is dynamically created by windows when windows is

installed and also when new hardware is detected. It's pointless

to compare file-size and file-date between two different vmm32.vxd

files.

If that's so, don't I lose all the entries Windows has already made

there?

There is no modification or interference with your registry in relation

to changing the vmm32.vxd file.

I *believe* that when win-98 is first installed, it uses the default

vmm32.vxd as-is, and any additional virtual device drivers that are

specific to your system are placed in the /vmm directory and are not

incorporated into the default vmm32.vxd file. But under some

circumstances Win-98 can rebuild vmm32.vxd and incorporate those extra

.vxd files from the /vmm directory, and that's why you'd end up with a

different vmm32.vxd file than the default version from the CD.

I *believe* that windows starts with the shorty vmm32.vxd file found on the CD and adds to it a specific list of compressed drivers according to the INF file building the windows installation and those files are listed in the INF file as being the exact same on every machine. Which means that the process COULD be made unique to the machine if only it had a unique INF to build from - but they are all the same, so everybody's Vmm32.vxd file should be the same except for the build date. Which goes a long way to explaining why this patch could work in the first place, eh? Nice find BTW, this and the flash dll mod too, can't wait to try this one since the other is working so well.

I had such a cheap machine to start with in 99 (97 was the BIOS date, no further support for it either) that it didn't do DMA in DOS mode, thus my Vmm32.vxd file was always corrupt such that I had to do umpteen re-installs until I found the DOS mode method to wake a drive up and make it start doing DMA data transfers in DOS mode - hello - all of a sudden I can run the better part of a decade with zero nonsense before I do something really stupid and wipe out an install, a vast difference of behavior that does come back to exactly what the Vmm32.vxd file is and what it really does.

It's a compressed set of 32 bit drivers for windows which is loaded into ram in DOS mode. From there is it is expanded in ram from ram which is much faster than just loading it from the hard drive in it's expanded form. This was just a gimick to make it appear to boot faster, 95 does this too BTW. Where I needed the VXD fix to just use Windows for a few short months at a time before I found out about the DMA fix to apply to my specific machine, so I knew that the VXD fix was a real alternative and it WORKED. It wouldn't do a single thing for somebody with a good BIOS that allowed DMA transfer in DOS mode as well as windows whether or not they had their DMA boxes checked or not. You should know that 98 ships with DMA turned off by default and that if you want to install it with DMA turned on you have to supply a fixed INF file for that to happen. This issue revolves around broken mass data transfers found in 95 and was never addressed by MS due to so many chefs in the kitchen, so clone makers across the board took it upon themselves to fix the issue within their own BIOS - but somebody forgot to tell the guys that made mine about all this, and they didn't get it done on mine. The VXD fix was simply to put a few of the expanded troublesome driver files in the Vmm32 folder and by default Windows would load those drivers in their expanded form over the top of the same expanded file in already in ram, which lead to far fewer errors when running the code. That's the VXD fix in a nutshell. Lots of extra hooey around this issue, but I thought maybe you'd like to see my take on it.

For the final treat, the larger Vmm32.vxd file is built by wininit.exe which is a DOS mode executable called by win.com that when instructed by the wininit.ini file renames, and deletes files that were in use during the prior windows session such that the replacement of same can then occur before windows loads and runs on the subsequent reboot. Among it's talents is to compress files into the Vmm32.vxd file which it does at install time, this list of files is to be found in the registry as well but is driven directly by wininit.ini which is made by the INF file installing windows and again - it's the same in every machine. It COULD easily be unique, it just isn't ever. Myth busted?

BTW, I much prefer your toned down approach to the hypocrisy found on MSFN, it truly makes them look like the idiot and I'd have to agree with that point. I was attacked in private email by the moderator at one point for asking the che gevara guy to post a link to his boot CD again since now I could do something with it whereas before I couldn't so I didn't download it back then and now I couldn't find it anymore. OR have MDGX post it on his site for all to enjoy. I was told in no uncertain terms that if I ever mentioned this issue again I would be tossed summarily, ranting violent hyperbole and no small amount of yada, yada, yada thrown in. I knew then that they were gonzo nut city over there and quit posting for a year or better. I guess che was tossed as I never saw another post from him, and the man had real talents, too bad, so sad. Within the last year I tried to help a guy recover from a very stupid laptop install mistake where he was installing direct from a USB drive and forgot that USB drivers need to be loaded in DOS mode in order to work and complete the install which he hadn't done in the first place and now could not do since the laptop had neither a floppy or CDROM drive. If only he just copied the install files to the hard drive in Windows when the USB port was working fine and then done the install from the hard drive with the USB drive in his pocket just for double insurance, but no, instead he made a doorstop out of his laptop. Can't fathom why, but he answered by posting the link to the warez site where he downloaded Win98se from and was tossed immediately, more rabid foaming at the mouth but only in the thread itself, I quit posting in that thread real quick. Some other guy objected to the tossing and got tossed just as fast. Why they didn't count that as the final straw for me too, I'll never understand. You with him? - NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

For example, the default VMM32.VXD file on the win-98se CD is 464 kb in

size, but my actual VMM32.VXD in c:\windows\system was 907 kb before I

renamed it and replaced it with the modified file, which is 903 kb in

size.

Again remember that if you first rename your existing VMM32.vxd (to,

say, VMM32.vx_ or VMM32.vxd.old) and then copy the new VMM32.vxd to

c:\windows\system (and also copy the file vmm.vxd to

c:\windows\system\vmm32) and if Windows doesn't boot, then simply

re-start in DOS and restore your original vmm32.vxd (and delete the

vmm.vxd that you put in c:\windows\system\vmm32).

Here's more info about VMM32.VXD

=========================

Win9x installation of VMM32.VxD

It is accepted that VMM32.VxD is initially a basic file which is built

up with additional VxDs (required specifically by that PC's own

components) during Win98+ installation. Those additional VxDs are then

accessed from within VMM32.VxD.

However that initial VMM32.VxD file is not an empty skeleton waiting to

be filled. It is a substantial 475,084 bytes on the CDs of both Win98

(Win98_48.cab) and Win98SE (Win98_54.cab). This is the size prior to

installation. It contains many components that will be used by Win9x and

is added to at the time of Win98, 98SE, or ME installation.

After Win9x installation, any additionally installed VxDs will be placed

in \Windows\System\VMM32. These will take priority over any previous VxD

within VMM32.VxD. The size of VMM32.VxD in the Windows\System directory

after installation will vary from system to system. It will now be

substantially (perhaps twice) larger than the CD version and should

carry the date of your last installation of Win9x. The increased size is

partly the result of specific VxDs being added during Win9x

installation.

To view the contents of the 'new' VMM32.VxD run RegEdit and go to the

Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l/VMM32Files

where the right pane shows all the files that comprise VMM32.VxD.

It is now said that ALL the VxDs required for your own system will be

present, though you could check your own Registry just to make sure.

http://www.thpc.info/upd/vmm32.html

==========================