A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » Networking
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New network server

Old July 17th 09, 07:27 PM
vaazi
External Usenet User

Default New network server

My company is in the process of upgrading it's W2k server to XP Pro. The old server consists of four ide drives with a promise raid.

The new server (motherboard GA-73PVM-S2) of course is custom built by me for future upgrade compatability. 1 ea FDD 1.44, call me old school. DVD SATA 22x. HD SATA-2 320Gb ROHS 7200 RPM 16Mb. MB MATX Core 2 Duo S775 4Gb DDR2 GBE/V/S PCIE. CPU core 2 DUO 3.16G 133 MHZ 3M L775 box. MEM 2Gb 800MHZ DDR2 NON-ECC CL5 DIMM. and for power performance 1 MODXSTREAM PRO 600W ATX12V & EPS12V, uprgraded for future additions. Am I missing anything here?

Now the questions:

We are upgrading PTree Pro to Quantum, WIN2k to XP Pro, as W2K does not support using Quantum. Also the old IDE server is almost 10 years old. I figured using SATA would allow faster response communication with the 10
workstations we have so far. All the workstations run W2k, and I figured it is time to get to the 20th century. There are a lot of compatability issues as well, and there are so many bandages left to use.

1. How would I transfer the information from the IDE to the SATA drives? Raid Drives? Raid Drives setup?
a. Image backup is one train of thought

2. Running new & older server with copying files?
a. need to keep some software registries going as the original disks are floating in limbo in the office/warehouse area and need to maintain them as is (some programs). Cost is the main issue.

3. Issue of MS Office upgrade from 97 to at least 2003. I know somewhere out in the electrons of space there was / is supposed to be a free upgrade from Office97 to Office XX. Suggestions?

4. Issue of multi seating for XP Pro. I seem to be having a hard time getting them. VISTA IS NOT AN OPTION! W7 is very pricey. Cost is the major issue. Any suggestions?