A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Setup & Installation
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Need to reformat and reinstall



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 17th 08, 01:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
ladybug
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 8
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

I have my winME key code and cd along with an XP upgrade that I purchased for
this machine's predecessor but without a floppy drive and/or boot disc, I am
a bit lost - I need to reformat and reinstall due to backdoor trojan but
can't find the XP discs & key code came with the machine when purchased new
in Dec 05.

Since I have the ME cd & key code and the XP upgrade, is is possible to
reformat and install then upgrade back to xp? Thanks!
  #2  
Old August 17th 08, 04:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

Since I have the ME cd & key code and the XP upgrade, is is possible
to reformat and install then upgrade back to xp? Thanks!


No need, you can install XP without having first to install Win Me. See
my reply to your post in the thread "reinstalling windows Me".
--
Mike Maltby



ladybug wrote:

I have my winME key code and cd along with an XP upgrade that I
purchased for this machine's predecessor but without a floppy drive
and/or boot disc, I am a bit lost - I need to reformat and reinstall
due to backdoor trojan but can't find the XP discs & key code came
with the machine when purchased new in Dec 05.

Since I have the ME cd & key code and the XP upgrade, is is possible
to reformat and install then upgrade back to xp? Thanks!


  #3  
Old August 17th 08, 04:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
ladybug
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 8
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

Thank you Mike. I was relieved to think that would work after a grueling
week of spending all non-work hours discovering the depth and breadth of the
malware on that machine. Unfortunately when I followed your instruction &
put in the XP upgrade and began setup, I got this error message: "Setup
cannot upgrade your current installation to Windows XP. Your current
installation of windows is not a supported upgrade path. Setup cannot
continue." If you have any other suggestions, please please let me know.
I've tried to create a start-up/boot disk for ME to install ME and upgrade,
but that's been futile as well.

Again, my thanks to you!


"Mike M" wrote:

Since I have the ME cd & key code and the XP upgrade, is is possible
to reformat and install then upgrade back to xp? Thanks!


No need, you can install XP without having first to install Win Me. See
my reply to your post in the thread "reinstalling windows Me".
--
Mike Maltby



ladybug wrote:

I have my winME key code and cd along with an XP upgrade that I
purchased for this machine's predecessor but without a floppy drive
and/or boot disc, I am a bit lost - I need to reformat and reinstall
due to backdoor trojan but can't find the XP discs & key code came
with the machine when purchased new in Dec 05.

Since I have the ME cd & key code and the XP upgrade, is is possible
to reformat and install then upgrade back to xp? Thanks!



  #5  
Old August 17th 08, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
ladybug
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 8
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

Thank you. I have reformatted and reinstalled XP. I am now attempting to
connect to my lan & will need to download drivers for my ethernet card
apparently. Arghhhhh!

"Mike M" wrote:

If your hard drive contains nothing you wish to retain I would create and
use the Ultimate Boot CD to wipe the drive clean so that you can start
over with a clean system. You can download an image from
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/. You should then be able to clean install
XP using your upgrade CD in the way I described earlier.
--
Mike Maltby



ladybug wrote:

Thank you Mike. I was relieved to think that would work after a
grueling week of spending all non-work hours discovering the depth
and breadth of the malware on that machine. Unfortunately when I
followed your instruction & put in the XP upgrade and began setup, I
got this error message: "Setup cannot upgrade your current
installation to Windows XP. Your current installation of windows is
not a supported upgrade path. Setup cannot continue." If you have
any other suggestions, please please let me know. I've tried to
create a start-up/boot disk for ME to install ME and upgrade, but
that's been futile as well.

Again, my thanks to you!



  #6  
Old August 17th 08, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

ladybug wrote:

Thank you. I have reformatted and reinstalled XP. I am now
attempting to connect to my lan & will need to download drivers for
my ethernet card apparently. Arghhhhh!


I'm pleased to read that you seem to have made some progress.


How did you do the install? Did you use the Ultimate Boot CD to wipe your
hard drive and were you then able to install XP using the upgrade CD or
did you have to first install Win Me?
--
Mike Maltby



  #7  
Old August 17th 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
ladybug
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 8
Default Need to reformat and reinstall


I didn't use the Ultimate Boot CD....late last night I tried one more time
with the XP upgrade CD and was able to get to the clean install. Once it
started I was so happy to see some progress that I stayed up to finish it.
Guess I am naive because I thought I would be able to connect right to my lan
and get on the internet, but alas didn't think that all the drivers
originally installed are gone. I've gotten the printer installed and am now
wrestling with the network card driver. I've gone to Intel's site to get a
drive, downloaded it to a flash drive on my machine and now will go try it
out. Unfortunately again - when we bought the machine new in 2005 the
drivers were installed and I don't find a rescue CD or the drivers CD among
the documentation and CD's we received from Dell. Bummer for me....

Thanks for your kindness in assisting!

"Mike M" wrote:

ladybug wrote:

Thank you. I have reformatted and reinstalled XP. I am now
attempting to connect to my lan & will need to download drivers for
my ethernet card apparently. Arghhhhh!


I'm pleased to read that you seem to have made some progress.


How did you do the install? Did you use the Ultimate Boot CD to wipe your
hard drive and were you then able to install XP using the upgrade CD or
did you have to first install Win Me?
--
Mike Maltby




  #8  
Old August 17th 08, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

That's good, other than for the lack of a driver for your network card. I
couldn't understand why you weren't able to clean install using the XP
Upgrade CD and why you saw the error message you reported.

Could you please confirm whether or not when using the XP upgrade CD you
were asked to insert the Win Me CD or not?

Best wishes,
--
Mike Maltby




ladybug wrote:

I didn't use the Ultimate Boot CD....late last night I tried one more
time with the XP upgrade CD and was able to get to the clean install.
Once it started I was so happy to see some progress that I stayed up
to finish it. Guess I am naive because I thought I would be able to
connect right to my lan and get on the internet, but alas didn't
think that all the drivers originally installed are gone. I've
gotten the printer installed and am now wrestling with the network
card driver. I've gone to Intel's site to get a drive, downloaded it
to a flash drive on my machine and now will go try it out.
Unfortunately again - when we bought the machine new in 2005 the
drivers were installed and I don't find a rescue CD or the drivers CD
among the documentation and CD's we received from Dell. Bummer for
me....

Thanks for your kindness in assisting!

"Mike M" wrote:

ladybug wrote:

Thank you. I have reformatted and reinstalled XP. I am now
attempting to connect to my lan & will need to download drivers for
my ethernet card apparently. Arghhhhh!


I'm pleased to read that you seem to have made some progress.


How did you do the install? Did you use the Ultimate Boot CD to
wipe your hard drive and were you then able to install XP using the
upgrade CD or did you have to first install Win Me?
--
Mike Maltby


  #9  
Old August 17th 08, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
ladybug
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 8
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

Hi Mike -
Surprisingly, when using the XP upgrade CD, I was not asked to insert the
Win ME CD. I have downloaded the correct network card driver via my other
computer, moved it to the infected computer & installed that. At that point
I was able to access my LAN and the internet. I have installed antivirus
software and am now downloading Windows Service Pack 3. Hopefully that will
be the closing of this endeavor.

"Mike M" wrote:

That's good, other than for the lack of a driver for your network card. I
couldn't understand why you weren't able to clean install using the XP
Upgrade CD and why you saw the error message you reported.

Could you please confirm whether or not when using the XP upgrade CD you
were asked to insert the Win Me CD or not?

Best wishes,
--
Mike Maltby




ladybug wrote:

I didn't use the Ultimate Boot CD....late last night I tried one more
time with the XP upgrade CD and was able to get to the clean install.
Once it started I was so happy to see some progress that I stayed up
to finish it. Guess I am naive because I thought I would be able to
connect right to my lan and get on the internet, but alas didn't
think that all the drivers originally installed are gone. I've
gotten the printer installed and am now wrestling with the network
card driver. I've gone to Intel's site to get a drive, downloaded it
to a flash drive on my machine and now will go try it out.
Unfortunately again - when we bought the machine new in 2005 the
drivers were installed and I don't find a rescue CD or the drivers CD
among the documentation and CD's we received from Dell. Bummer for
me....

Thanks for your kindness in assisting!

"Mike M" wrote:

ladybug wrote:

Thank you. I have reformatted and reinstalled XP. I am now
attempting to connect to my lan & will need to download drivers for
my ethernet card apparently. Arghhhhh!

I'm pleased to read that you seem to have made some progress.


How did you do the install? Did you use the Ultimate Boot CD to
wipe your hard drive and were you then able to install XP using the
upgrade CD or did you have to first install Win Me?
--
Mike Maltby



  #10  
Old August 17th 08, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.setup
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Need to reformat and reinstall

ladybug wrote:

Hi Mike -
Surprisingly, when using the XP upgrade CD, I was not asked to insert
the Win ME CD. I have downloaded the correct network card driver via
my other computer, moved it to the infected computer & installed
that. At that point I was able to access my LAN and the internet. I
have installed antivirus software and am now downloading Windows
Service Pack 3. Hopefully that will be the closing of this endeavor.


Did you perform a clean install or was it a repair install? If the latter
I wouldn't expect you to have to provide the Win Me CD but if the former
it looks as if the XP upgrade setup took the existing XP installation as
being the qualifying product which is good news all round.

I'm pleased that all seems to be going well.
--
Mike Maltby



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reformat, Reinstall, and updates Paradoxdb3 General 1 November 17th 07 04:21 AM
FrontPage won't run or reinstall after Windows 98SE reinstall Borisgoodenough General 3 May 12th 05 02:36 AM
How do I reinstall or reformat Windows 98? barry General 8 August 15th 04 04:09 AM
ME: Reformat in DOS and reinstall from recovery discs HELP!!!!! KrAzY Setup & Installation 6 August 3rd 04 02:28 PM
Reformat ME Mikel General 2 July 9th 04 11:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.