A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bootable USB Flash Drive in Win98 ?

Old February 10th 10, 09:08 PM
JorgeA
External Usenet User

Question Bootable USB Flash Drive in Win98 ?

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up Windows 98 (original edition) to boot and load completely from a USB flash drive. The idea would be -- in case of a hard disk failure -- to have all my data, programs, AND system ready to go in order to reinstall them onto a replacement hard disk.

Is this possible, and if so, how? I do have a working USB driver for my Win98 PC, but other than a reference to "Legacy USB support," there seems to be no option in the BIOS Setup menu for telling it to look for the OS in a flash drive. Am I out of luck?

Currently I have a copy (not an image) of the entire hard disk on a 16GB flash drive, plus the CABS files also on a separate CD. (My Dell system didn't come with a Windows CD-ROM, but with a CABS folder on the hard disk instead.) In case of a total HD failure I think I could reinstall Windows from the CD and/or the flash drive, and bring the programs and data over from the flash drive, but I'd like to know if it's possible to do everything from the flash drive.

This is my first post here.

Thanks very much. I'm glad to know there's still a few Win98 fans out there!