A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Networking
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Unable to Install Driver



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old June 12th 09, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
JohnN
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 24
Default Unable to Install Driver


"JohnN" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mike M" wrote in message
...
John,

So no rt73 files, no aegis files and no results.txt file containing the
all important message "Driver install was successful." I simply don't
know or understand why this is happening. 99% of cases where the drive
install fails are a result of the windows\inf file hitting the limits of
the FAT filing system due to containing a large number of zero byte
oem*.inf files, usually the result of having a Symantec "product"
installed, but you've already confirmed that that is not the case.

Given that the installer hangs and doesn't complete am I correct in
assuming that you don't see a popup small rectangular window that says
something along the lines of "Updating hardware information database"?

Hi Mike,

I do get this message along with its 'updating bar' across the screen! -
and this completes!


Perhaps this is for the files that do load, maybe one or two are inf files
but not the ones needed


John

This is the
point at which details of the inf files etc is added to the database so
that the device is recognised each time it is inserted. I'm guessing the
"hang" happens before you get to this stage.
--
Mike Maltby



JohnN wrote:

The files listed are from the ME version from the Edimax site; - it
looks like the files you mention 73** just didnt install!






  #52  
Old June 12th 09, 10:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Unable to Install Driver

JohnN wrote:

Perhaps this is for the files that do load, maybe one or two are inf
files but not the ones needed


John,

In a last act of desperation and given that you apparently have never
managed to install the rt73* driver files needed by the device I've zipped
up the three files involved and sent them to you by e-mail. Try unzipping
these and placing in a folder on the Win Me desktop and then see if you can
update/install the driver using Dev. Manager by selecting the unknown
device, choosing update driver and pointing the wizard at the folder on the
desktop.
--
Mike Maltby



  #53  
Old June 12th 09, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
JohnN
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 24
Default Unable to Install Driver

Problem Solved

With the help of Mike M. and all his helpful posts I have managed to get my
USB/Wireless adapter working!

In order to install an Edimax EW-7318USG Wirewless LAN Adapter (Windows
XP/Vista) onto my WinME pc I downloaded a WinME Driver from Edimax.After
unzipping the download, the resultant RaLink Application Program would not
completely install and 'hung' midway.
However upon investigation some files did install into a couple of folders
in the primary folder Program Files/Ralink.
With the adapter inserted 'an unkown device' did appear in Device Manager
and when updating this driver by pointing to the files installed above, the
driver was not recognised.
In fact at boot up an error message stating Missing Aegise2.dll file
occurred.

After trying several ideas to overcome the problem - listed in posts and
including removing my Norton protection the situation did not change - until
I obtained the missing files by mail.; and those missing files a
acAuth.dll, AegisE2.dll, AegisI2.exe, AegisI5.exe plus: rt73.bin, rt73.inf,
rt73u98.sys.When inserted in respective folders and running the AegisI2.exe
file successfully installed the Driver and now my Wireless system is up and
running!

Thanks to Mike M

"JohnN" wrote in message
. uk...
I want to install a WindowsXP/Vista USB/Wireless adapter on my Windows ME
pc.Consequently I have downloaded a WinME Driver in the form of a 'zip'
file from the adapter vendor.I have unzipped the file to give the
Application Program file, but when I run this file to install the Driver
the installation stops running mid way and does not complete( it
'hangs').The result is no driver is installed. Does anyone know what the
problem is and how I might resolve it, without having to purchase a WinME
USB/WIRELESS adapter.

Thanks J.



  #54  
Old June 13th 09, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default Unable to Install Driver

John wrote :-

Delete what in Safe Mode?


The 'unknown device' shown (with a yellow question/exclamation mark) in
Device Manager

If I do whatever you are suggesting how do I get system back to Normal;


No, I think you misunderstand. There is an option to delete (or remove)
devices whilst in DevMan - and is often best done in Safe Mode (rather than
Normal Mode) as some 'badly installed devices' don't always show in Normal
Mode, but do show up in Safe Mode.

Having deleted (or removed) the device (taking its drivers with it!) in Safe
Mode, as you re-boot (back into Normal Mode), WinMe will attempt to
re-detect (as a fresh detection) your WiFi stick and put the (new) hardware
detection wizard back on the screen in readiness to setup (according to the
WiFi stick user manual) as though it was a 'first-time' attempt.

This method will *usually* fix a bad hardware installation.

I've never (fortunately) had to boot to SafeMode!


To boot into Safe Mode, either press and hold the Shift key at power-up, or
keep stabbing at the F8 key during power-up, or press and hold the Ctrl key
at power-up until you are presented with an on-screen menu with a Safe Mode
option.

HOWEVER - I see elsewhere, that you have now succeeded in getting the full
complement of driver files (from Mike?) and have now got your adapter
working - well done! - And well done also to Mike for his perseverance g

Mart



"JohnN" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mart" wrote in message
...
Mike wrote :-

As far as I am aware this is where we started some days ago. The
installer just "hangs" and John has to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.


Sorry guys, looks like I may have missed some of the earlier postings.

John wrote :-

As stated previously, Device Manager shows 'unknown device' ....


Tried deleting it in Safe Mode and start over?


Hi Mark,
Delete what in Safe Mode?
If I do whatever you are suggesting how do I get system back to Normal;
I've never (fortunately) had to boot to SafeMode!
John

(Sorry if you've already done that)

Mart

snipped



  #55  
Old June 13th 09, 07:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Noel Paton[_3_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 229
Default Unable to Install Driver

Well done that man!
10/10 for persistence!
...I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation working
properly though.

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"JohnN" wrote in message
. uk...
Problem Solved

With the help of Mike M. and all his helpful posts I have managed to get
my USB/Wireless adapter working!

In order to install an Edimax EW-7318USG Wirewless LAN Adapter (Windows
XP/Vista) onto my WinME pc I downloaded a WinME Driver from Edimax.After
unzipping the download, the resultant RaLink Application Program would not
completely install and 'hung' midway.
However upon investigation some files did install into a couple of folders
in the primary folder Program Files/Ralink.
With the adapter inserted 'an unkown device' did appear in Device Manager
and when updating this driver by pointing to the files installed above,
the driver was not recognised.
In fact at boot up an error message stating Missing Aegise2.dll file
occurred.

After trying several ideas to overcome the problem - listed in posts and
including removing my Norton protection the situation did not change -
until I obtained the missing files by mail.; and those missing files a
acAuth.dll, AegisE2.dll, AegisI2.exe, AegisI5.exe plus: rt73.bin,
rt73.inf, rt73u98.sys.When inserted in respective folders and running the
AegisI2.exe file successfully installed the Driver and now my Wireless
system is up and running!

Thanks to Mike M

"JohnN" wrote in message
. uk...
I want to install a WindowsXP/Vista USB/Wireless adapter on my Windows ME
pc.Consequently I have downloaded a WinME Driver in the form of a 'zip'
file from the adapter vendor.I have unzipped the file to give the
Application Program file, but when I run this file to install the Driver
the installation stops running mid way and does not complete( it
'hangs').The result is no driver is installed. Does anyone know what the
problem is and how I might resolve it, without having to purchase a WinME
USB/WIRELESS adapter.

Thanks J.




  #56  
Old June 13th 09, 08:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Unable to Install Driver

Noel,

I first sent John the RT73 chipset driver files from my install and got John
to point the unknown device in Dev Man (which was the wi-fi device) at where
they were located and they then installed as they should and the device was
then recognised in Dev Man. However due to Win Me (unlike XP and later)
having no native capability of handling wi-fi I had a further look at the
Aegis folder created by the driver installer on my system and established
that AegisI2.exe was the Aegis installer. I therefore sent John a copy of
the Aegis folder and on executing AegisI2.exe Aegis installed and I
understand John was then able to configure and use a wi-fi connection using
the Edimax device.

..I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation
working properly though.


As would I and, showing my known bias, I can't help feeling that Norton had
a hand in the problem.
--
Mike


Noel Paton wrote:

Well done that man!
10/10 for persistence!
..I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation
working properly though.


  #57  
Old June 13th 09, 10:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Noel Paton[_3_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 229
Default Unable to Install Driver

Yeah - my inclination is that way as well

OT - I'll be in touch later..... Norton(??)-induced problem on an XP box

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"Mike M" wrote in message
...

..I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation
working properly though.


As would I and, showing my known bias, I can't help feeling that Norton
had a hand in the problem.
--
Mike


Noel Paton wrote:

Well done that man!
10/10 for persistence!
..I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation
working properly though.



  #58  
Old August 6th 09, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
DrPlant
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1
Default Unable to Install Driver

Mike,

I am having a similar problem with trying to install a Sabrent G802 pci
wireless card in my HP6745C (Windows ME). On initial installation the
install program would hang just before completing (the progress bar extended
all the way to the end). On restart, hardware showed as recognized, and the
green light on the card blinks on. The problem appears to be with the Ralink
wireless utility installation.

I do get a startup alert that AeGise2.dll is missing. FYI, the Sabrent card
has a Ralink 2561 (RT61). I went on the Ralink site and downloaded and
installed that driver (version 1.2.6.0), but it still hung on the Ralink
utility installation. I have to force the install program closed every time.
After reading the posts here, I thought perhaps installing the most recent
version of the Ralink utility might work, but it did not (it was a 2009 USB
RT7x driver package).

Last night I decided not to force kill the hanging install and went to bed.
I woke up to a different message this morning: an error has occured in your
program IS_ap_sta_6x_d_1.

Upon reboot, I didn't see the usual Aegis2.dll missing notice, but instead,
that Is_ap_sta_6x_d_1 has caused an error in I81XDW9.DRV, which I found out
is for the Intel 82810 graphics controller. I updated the graphics
controller to the most recent version I could find (my previous was dated
2000, the update...I think v6.7, was dated 8/23/2002), and tried to reinstall
the WAN card driver and Ralink utility (both the RT6x and RT7x versions), but
it hung again. Keep in mind, that throughout all these reinstalls, the card
is recognized upon restart (hardware install window briefly opens), and the
green light is blinking.

Ralink exists in the start menu, and there is a Ralink folder in my
programs, but upon execution, I get a missing Aegise2.dll message (I'm not
sure where to look for this dll, but it is not in the Ralink folder)

So my problem is that I think I have a properly installed WAN card (it shows
as properly installed in Device manager, and the green light is on), but I
don't have a functional utility to get myself connected. I can't find
anything to manage the connection on the ME system which is similar to my
other wireless XP systems.

I thought there might be a 3rd party wireless management utility, and I
thought I found one (BVRP Connection Manager Lite 1.0), but the several
dowload sites I found actually download v1.1, which upon install alerts an
incompatable OS and shuts down the install.

Since I think my wireless card works, is there a simple solution to getting
myself connected to my network? I have a Robotics USR5461 wireless g router,
using a WEP key.

"Mike M" wrote:

Noel,

I first sent John the RT73 chipset driver files from my install and got John
to point the unknown device in Dev Man (which was the wi-fi device) at where
they were located and they then installed as they should and the device was
then recognised in Dev Man. However due to Win Me (unlike XP and later)
having no native capability of handling wi-fi I had a further look at the
Aegis folder created by the driver installer on my system and established
that AegisI2.exe was the Aegis installer. I therefore sent John a copy of
the Aegis folder and on executing AegisI2.exe Aegis installed and I
understand John was then able to configure and use a wi-fi connection using
the Edimax device.

..I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation
working properly though.


As would I and, showing my known bias, I can't help feeling that Norton had
a hand in the problem.
--
Mike


Noel Paton wrote:

Well done that man!
10/10 for persistence!
..I'd still love to find out what prevented 'normal' installation
working properly though.



  #59  
Old August 6th 09, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Unable to Install Driver

Please mail me and I'll try and get back to you tomorrow. The problem,
based on my earlier work with John, is that the
C:\Program Files\RalinkRT7xWireless LANCardAegis folder containing:
acAuth.dll, AegisE2.dll, AegisI2.exe, AegisI5.exe isn't created or populated
and similarly for the rt73 driver files. John managed to solve his problem
by using a copy of this folder and files that I e-mailed him.

I'll try and dig out the details overnight and let you have a copy. I'm
sorry I can't help "right now" as I'm currently rather busy on another
problem. In preparation I would probably use system restore to roll your
system back to the state it was in before you hit your Is_ap_sta_6x_d_1
problems as they should be unrelated to your problems with the wi-fi card.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby



DrPlant wrote:

Mike,

I am having a similar problem with trying to install a Sabrent G802
pci wireless card in my HP6745C (Windows ME). On initial
installation the install program would hang just before completing
(the progress bar extended all the way to the end). On restart,
hardware showed as recognized, and the green light on the card blinks
on. The problem appears to be with the Ralink wireless utility
installation.

I do get a startup alert that AeGise2.dll is missing. FYI, the
Sabrent card has a Ralink 2561 (RT61). I went on the Ralink site and
downloaded and installed that driver (version 1.2.6.0), but it still
hung on the Ralink utility installation. I have to force the install
program closed every time. After reading the posts here, I thought
perhaps installing the most recent version of the Ralink utility
might work, but it did not (it was a 2009 USB RT7x driver package).

Last night I decided not to force kill the hanging install and went
to bed. I woke up to a different message this morning: an error has
occured in your program IS_ap_sta_6x_d_1.

Upon reboot, I didn't see the usual Aegis2.dll missing notice, but
instead, that Is_ap_sta_6x_d_1 has caused an error in I81XDW9.DRV,
which I found out is for the Intel 82810 graphics controller. I
updated the graphics controller to the most recent version I could
find (my previous was dated 2000, the update...I think v6.7, was
dated 8/23/2002), and tried to reinstall the WAN card driver and
Ralink utility (both the RT6x and RT7x versions), but it hung again.
Keep in mind, that throughout all these reinstalls, the card is
recognized upon restart (hardware install window briefly opens), and
the green light is blinking.

Ralink exists in the start menu, and there is a Ralink folder in my
programs, but upon execution, I get a missing Aegise2.dll message
(I'm not sure where to look for this dll, but it is not in the Ralink
folder)

So my problem is that I think I have a properly installed WAN card
(it shows as properly installed in Device manager, and the green
light is on), but I don't have a functional utility to get myself
connected. I can't find anything to manage the connection on the ME
system which is similar to my other wireless XP systems.

I thought there might be a 3rd party wireless management utility, and
I thought I found one (BVRP Connection Manager Lite 1.0), but the
several dowload sites I found actually download v1.1, which upon
install alerts an incompatable OS and shuts down the install.

Since I think my wireless card works, is there a simple solution to
getting myself connected to my network? I have a Robotics USR5461
wireless g router, using a WEP key.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to install USB driver DaffyD® General 21 July 19th 08 07:23 AM
Unable to load 98se no cd-rom driver found treg Setup & Installation 4 November 10th 07 05:55 PM
Unable to install Win98 SE MEB General 2 August 19th 06 09:37 AM
Unable to install Win 98 BOB Setup & Installation 7 May 12th 05 04:44 AM
Unable to install driver for device David Wake Software & Applications 2 August 21st 04 07:07 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.