A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Hardware
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CD BURNER



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 21st 09, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default CD BURNER

Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd drive to
burn a backup of the whole system
  #2  
Old October 22nd 09, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default CD BURNER

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and assuming the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt & braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd drive to
burn a backup of the whole system



  #3  
Old October 22nd 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default CD BURNER

so there is a small posibality it could get messed up

ps nothing is wrong with the cd crive i just need to use a burner

"Mart" wrote:

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and assuming the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt & braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd drive to
burn a backup of the whole system



.

  #4  
Old October 22nd 09, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default CD BURNER

No, not if you're careful and stick to my advice of setting a restore point
BEFORE you start work.

However, you WILL need to install a software "burning" utility before you
can "burn" your CD's, its not just as simple as substituting the cd drive
only. Naturally, that will add a new program to your pc and in turn will
modify your Registry - but it wouldn't (shouldn't) get you "messed up".

Once you've finished with the "temporary" cd burner, you can 'uninstall' the
software "burning" utility, which will remove the previous Registry
modifications and then replace the original cd drive. Then, unless you've
done something wrong, there would (should) be no need for you to revert back
to your original SR point - BUT there would be no harm done in doing so, if
you wanted to.

If, for any reason you do get "messed up" then System Restore is your
insurance policy. That's why MS introduced and included it in WinMe - the
first OS to use SR.

BTW - If you're still not happy, you could always 'burn' your back-up data
to a USB memory stick. Remember, a CD will only hold about 700Mb of data,
whereas a memory stick can hold many Gb's of data. And, no software utility
is necessary.

But, in your original post, you mentioned "a backup of the whole system" -
it is assumed that you mean a backup of ALL of your *data* and NOT a
complete copy (clone) of the actual Hard Drive (C: Drive).

If you really mean a copy of the C: drive, then that's a completely
different ball game and your simplest approach would be to get a second hard
drive and use the drive manufacturer's own software utilities to copy or
clone your original C: drive to your new second drive. These utilities can
be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Note that none of the above approaches would (should) "mess up the system" -
if you do it properly - plus!, you've still got SR if you do go wrong.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
so there is a small posibality it could get messed up

ps nothing is wrong with the cd crive i just need to use a burner

"Mart" wrote:

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and assuming
the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt &
braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That
way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR
point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd drive
to
burn a backup of the whole system



  #5  
Old October 24th 09, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default CD BURNER

BUT system restore has not worked for a while and for some reason it will not
come back and i have serched for it in the system and it is like it is just
gone well i might be able to find it do you know the name of the system
restore file in the system32 folder. oohh and i am cloning the hd it only
holds 4.02GB so i was going to burn it to a cd or do you think my best bet is
to just use a flashdrive

"Mart" wrote:

No, not if you're careful and stick to my advice of setting a restore point
BEFORE you start work.

However, you WILL need to install a software "burning" utility before you
can "burn" your CD's, its not just as simple as substituting the cd drive
only. Naturally, that will add a new program to your pc and in turn will
modify your Registry - but it wouldn't (shouldn't) get you "messed up".

Once you've finished with the "temporary" cd burner, you can 'uninstall' the
software "burning" utility, which will remove the previous Registry
modifications and then replace the original cd drive. Then, unless you've
done something wrong, there would (should) be no need for you to revert back
to your original SR point - BUT there would be no harm done in doing so, if
you wanted to.

If, for any reason you do get "messed up" then System Restore is your
insurance policy. That's why MS introduced and included it in WinMe - the
first OS to use SR.

BTW - If you're still not happy, you could always 'burn' your back-up data
to a USB memory stick. Remember, a CD will only hold about 700Mb of data,
whereas a memory stick can hold many Gb's of data. And, no software utility
is necessary.

But, in your original post, you mentioned "a backup of the whole system" -
it is assumed that you mean a backup of ALL of your *data* and NOT a
complete copy (clone) of the actual Hard Drive (C: Drive).

If you really mean a copy of the C: drive, then that's a completely
different ball game and your simplest approach would be to get a second hard
drive and use the drive manufacturer's own software utilities to copy or
clone your original C: drive to your new second drive. These utilities can
be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Note that none of the above approaches would (should) "mess up the system" -
if you do it properly - plus!, you've still got SR if you do go wrong.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
so there is a small posibality it could get messed up

ps nothing is wrong with the cd crive i just need to use a burner

"Mart" wrote:

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and assuming
the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt &
braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That
way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR
point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd drive
to
burn a backup of the whole system



.

  #6  
Old October 24th 09, 08:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Noel Paton[_3_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 229
Default CD BURNER

I'd use BootItNG to burn it to either a flash drive or to DVD.
this doesn't need any installation of the software - just change the drive,
boot with BING, and do the image.
No need for System Restore, either

WRT System Restore - when you say that it seems to have disappeared, what do
you really mean?
try going to StartRun - type "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE"
(without the quotes) - what happens?
(that's the actual path to the SR executable in ME)


--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"Justin" wrote in message
...
BUT system restore has not worked for a while and for some reason it will
not
come back and i have serched for it in the system and it is like it is
just
gone well i might be able to find it do you know the name of the system
restore file in the system32 folder. oohh and i am cloning the hd it only
holds 4.02GB so i was going to burn it to a cd or do you think my best bet
is
to just use a flashdrive

"Mart" wrote:

No, not if you're careful and stick to my advice of setting a restore
point
BEFORE you start work.

However, you WILL need to install a software "burning" utility before you
can "burn" your CD's, its not just as simple as substituting the cd drive
only. Naturally, that will add a new program to your pc and in turn will
modify your Registry - but it wouldn't (shouldn't) get you "messed up".

Once you've finished with the "temporary" cd burner, you can 'uninstall'
the
software "burning" utility, which will remove the previous Registry
modifications and then replace the original cd drive. Then, unless
you've
done something wrong, there would (should) be no need for you to revert
back
to your original SR point - BUT there would be no harm done in doing so,
if
you wanted to.

If, for any reason you do get "messed up" then System Restore is your
insurance policy. That's why MS introduced and included it in WinMe - the
first OS to use SR.

BTW - If you're still not happy, you could always 'burn' your back-up
data
to a USB memory stick. Remember, a CD will only hold about 700Mb of data,
whereas a memory stick can hold many Gb's of data. And, no software
utility
is necessary.

But, in your original post, you mentioned "a backup of the whole
system" -
it is assumed that you mean a backup of ALL of your *data* and NOT a
complete copy (clone) of the actual Hard Drive (C: Drive).

If you really mean a copy of the C: drive, then that's a completely
different ball game and your simplest approach would be to get a second
hard
drive and use the drive manufacturer's own software utilities to copy or
clone your original C: drive to your new second drive. These utilities
can
be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Note that none of the above approaches would (should) "mess up the
system" -
if you do it properly - plus!, you've still got SR if you do go wrong.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
so there is a small posibality it could get messed up

ps nothing is wrong with the cd crive i just need to use a burner

"Mart" wrote:

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and
assuming
the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt &
braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That
way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR
point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd
drive
to
burn a backup of the whole system



.


  #7  
Old October 24th 09, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default CD BURNER

Hmm... Well, you've just opened a whole new can of worms. Seems your system
is already "messed up".

No System Restore? That really needs fixing for a start.
Have you tried Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System
Restore ?
It *might* even be something simple like you never having done any of the MS
WinMe updates. (There is a known bug with SR which requires an MS update to
fix it). But if you cant find it in System Tools, you need to search for a
file called rstrui.exe

Getting back to trying to clone your HD - unless you try to do it as I
previously described, i.e cloning to a new HDD, then you're in for a lot of
messy (spanning CD's, finding suitable DOS drivers for your memory stick
etc.) and probably unsuccessful work. I'd suggest you go down the "BootIt
Next Generation" route from TeraByte.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm
But your on your own then.

However, if you only want to back-up your critical (personal) data and
files, (which you should always do as a matter of course, anyway) then just
copy and paste all your data files to a memory stick.

Otherwise, in the event of a 'catastrophic failure', i.e. totally "messed
up" system then you'll probably find it far simpler to wipe your HDD and do
a fresh, clean install of WinMe (and whatever other programs you have
installed) and then simply restore your backed-up data.

Just a thought, I "guess" your WinMe pc is beginning to get a bit long in
the tooth - 10 years+? - and the fact that you've only got a 4.02 Gb HDD
(now obsolete and no longer manufactured) suggests that your HDD might be
reaching its twilight days. Not to mention that WinMe ceased to be supported
in 2006 and MS now really want you off it.

Whether you wish to throw good money (and more importantly - effort) at an
old, obsolete and unsupported pc is your choice, but my strategy would be to
back-up all critical data to a memory stick and save my money to invest in a
brand new pc when your WinMe kit finally "catastrophically fails" - as it
surely will. Your backed-up data can easily be transferred to a new
Operating System and your memory stick is still good for your new pc too.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
BUT system restore has not worked for a while and for some reason it will
not
come back and i have serched for it in the system and it is like it is
just
gone well i might be able to find it do you know the name of the system
restore file in the system32 folder. oohh and i am cloning the hd it only
holds 4.02GB so i was going to burn it to a cd or do you think my best bet
is
to just use a flashdrive

"Mart" wrote:

No, not if you're careful and stick to my advice of setting a restore
point
BEFORE you start work.

However, you WILL need to install a software "burning" utility before you
can "burn" your CD's, its not just as simple as substituting the cd drive
only. Naturally, that will add a new program to your pc and in turn will
modify your Registry - but it wouldn't (shouldn't) get you "messed up".

Once you've finished with the "temporary" cd burner, you can 'uninstall'
the
software "burning" utility, which will remove the previous Registry
modifications and then replace the original cd drive. Then, unless
you've
done something wrong, there would (should) be no need for you to revert
back
to your original SR point - BUT there would be no harm done in doing so,
if
you wanted to.

If, for any reason you do get "messed up" then System Restore is your
insurance policy. That's why MS introduced and included it in WinMe - the
first OS to use SR.

BTW - If you're still not happy, you could always 'burn' your back-up
data
to a USB memory stick. Remember, a CD will only hold about 700Mb of data,
whereas a memory stick can hold many Gb's of data. And, no software
utility
is necessary.

But, in your original post, you mentioned "a backup of the whole
system" -
it is assumed that you mean a backup of ALL of your *data* and NOT a
complete copy (clone) of the actual Hard Drive (C: Drive).

If you really mean a copy of the C: drive, then that's a completely
different ball game and your simplest approach would be to get a second
hard
drive and use the drive manufacturer's own software utilities to copy or
clone your original C: drive to your new second drive. These utilities
can
be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Note that none of the above approaches would (should) "mess up the
system" -
if you do it properly - plus!, you've still got SR if you do go wrong.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
so there is a small posibality it could get messed up

ps nothing is wrong with the cd crive i just need to use a burner

"Mart" wrote:

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and
assuming
the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt &
braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That
way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR
point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd
drive
to
burn a backup of the whole system



.



  #8  
Old October 24th 09, 10:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Mart
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1,190
Default CD BURNER

Hi Noel,

Now why weren't you there when I sent my reply? Should have refreshed g
Bing is probably the best route but is it worth the effort?

Mart


"Noel Paton" wrote in message
...
I'd use BootItNG to burn it to either a flash drive or to DVD.
this doesn't need any installation of the software - just change the
drive, boot with BING, and do the image.
No need for System Restore, either

WRT System Restore - when you say that it seems to have disappeared, what
do you really mean?
try going to StartRun - type "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE"
(without the quotes) - what happens?
(that's the actual path to the SR executable in ME)


--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk


snipped


  #9  
Old October 24th 09, 11:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Noel Paton[_3_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 229
Default CD BURNER

Hehe!
Bing is a lot less effort than installing backup software (and then
uninstalling it!) for a temporary solution - there's no trace at the end
that anything has happened to the system, assuming that the hardware changes
are done carefully.
With Bing, you can do the backup two ways - either create an image of the
drive (to either DVD/CD or flash drive - or both!), or create a full copy of
the drive (which can be used to extract single files or whatever is
required - if it's done to another HD, then it can actually be used to boot
the system!)
All in all, it's a far better backup solution than anything that can be done
from within Windows.

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk
"Mart" wrote in message
...
Hi Noel,

Now why weren't you there when I sent my reply? Should have refreshed g
Bing is probably the best route but is it worth the effort?

Mart


"Noel Paton" wrote in message
...
I'd use BootItNG to burn it to either a flash drive or to DVD.
this doesn't need any installation of the software - just change the
drive, boot with BING, and do the image.
No need for System Restore, either

WRT System Restore - when you say that it seems to have disappeared, what
do you really mean?
try going to StartRun - type "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE"
(without the quotes) - what happens?
(that's the actual path to the SR executable in ME)


--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk


snipped


  #10  
Old October 31st 09, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.hardware
Justin[_2_]
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 29
Default CD BURNER

But what are the chances of that and what would happen if it did get messed up

"Mart" wrote:

Hmm... Well, you've just opened a whole new can of worms. Seems your system
is already "messed up".

No System Restore? That really needs fixing for a start.
Have you tried Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System
Restore ?
It *might* even be something simple like you never having done any of the MS
WinMe updates. (There is a known bug with SR which requires an MS update to
fix it). But if you cant find it in System Tools, you need to search for a
file called rstrui.exe

Getting back to trying to clone your HD - unless you try to do it as I
previously described, i.e cloning to a new HDD, then you're in for a lot of
messy (spanning CD's, finding suitable DOS drivers for your memory stick
etc.) and probably unsuccessful work. I'd suggest you go down the "BootIt
Next Generation" route from TeraByte.
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm
But your on your own then.

However, if you only want to back-up your critical (personal) data and
files, (which you should always do as a matter of course, anyway) then just
copy and paste all your data files to a memory stick.

Otherwise, in the event of a 'catastrophic failure', i.e. totally "messed
up" system then you'll probably find it far simpler to wipe your HDD and do
a fresh, clean install of WinMe (and whatever other programs you have
installed) and then simply restore your backed-up data.

Just a thought, I "guess" your WinMe pc is beginning to get a bit long in
the tooth - 10 years+? - and the fact that you've only got a 4.02 Gb HDD
(now obsolete and no longer manufactured) suggests that your HDD might be
reaching its twilight days. Not to mention that WinMe ceased to be supported
in 2006 and MS now really want you off it.

Whether you wish to throw good money (and more importantly - effort) at an
old, obsolete and unsupported pc is your choice, but my strategy would be to
back-up all critical data to a memory stick and save my money to invest in a
brand new pc when your WinMe kit finally "catastrophically fails" - as it
surely will. Your backed-up data can easily be transferred to a new
Operating System and your memory stick is still good for your new pc too.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
BUT system restore has not worked for a while and for some reason it will
not
come back and i have serched for it in the system and it is like it is
just
gone well i might be able to find it do you know the name of the system
restore file in the system32 folder. oohh and i am cloning the hd it only
holds 4.02GB so i was going to burn it to a cd or do you think my best bet
is
to just use a flashdrive

"Mart" wrote:

No, not if you're careful and stick to my advice of setting a restore
point
BEFORE you start work.

However, you WILL need to install a software "burning" utility before you
can "burn" your CD's, its not just as simple as substituting the cd drive
only. Naturally, that will add a new program to your pc and in turn will
modify your Registry - but it wouldn't (shouldn't) get you "messed up".

Once you've finished with the "temporary" cd burner, you can 'uninstall'
the
software "burning" utility, which will remove the previous Registry
modifications and then replace the original cd drive. Then, unless
you've
done something wrong, there would (should) be no need for you to revert
back
to your original SR point - BUT there would be no harm done in doing so,
if
you wanted to.

If, for any reason you do get "messed up" then System Restore is your
insurance policy. That's why MS introduced and included it in WinMe - the
first OS to use SR.

BTW - If you're still not happy, you could always 'burn' your back-up
data
to a USB memory stick. Remember, a CD will only hold about 700Mb of data,
whereas a memory stick can hold many Gb's of data. And, no software
utility
is necessary.

But, in your original post, you mentioned "a backup of the whole
system" -
it is assumed that you mean a backup of ALL of your *data* and NOT a
complete copy (clone) of the actual Hard Drive (C: Drive).

If you really mean a copy of the C: drive, then that's a completely
different ball game and your simplest approach would be to get a second
hard
drive and use the drive manufacturer's own software utilities to copy or
clone your original C: drive to your new second drive. These utilities
can
be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Note that none of the above approaches would (should) "mess up the
system" -
if you do it properly - plus!, you've still got SR if you do go wrong.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
so there is a small posibality it could get messed up

ps nothing is wrong with the cd crive i just need to use a burner

"Mart" wrote:

Without asking what is wrong with your existing "cd drive" and
assuming
the
following :-

#1 :- Existing "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#2 :- Replacement "cd drive" is a CD burner.
#3 :- You have a 'burning' software utility - e.g Nero, etc.,

then all should work fine - however, just to be doubly sure (belt &
braces),
you should set a System Restore point BEFORE you start the work. That
way,
you can always replace the 'different (replacement) cd drive' with the
'original cd drive' if all goes pear-shaped and recall the previous SR
point
back to where you were before you started the work.

Mart



"Justin" wrote in message
...
Would it mess up the system if i temporally put in a different cd
drive
to
burn a backup of the whole system


.



.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win98SE sees DVD burner as a CD burner sunslight General 1 April 2nd 07 06:50 AM
DVD burner bobster General 5 January 20th 07 12:58 PM
DVD Burner Scott McKinney Hardware 5 February 7th 05 01:53 AM
CD Burner [email protected] Software & Applications 6 October 9th 04 07:14 AM
dvd burner General 1 June 22nd 04 06:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.