A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows ME » Monitors & Displays
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Widescreen laptop suddenly has black bars on sides of the display



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 28th 07, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.display
KellyFi
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1
Default Widescreen laptop suddenly has black bars on sides of the display

Hello,
I have never had this problem with m Dell E1505 laptop....it has a wide
screen display and Windows has always displayed with the correct aspect
ratio. all of a sudden it is only using a standard amount of screen real
estate to display the image, with vertical black bars on the sides. I've
looked thru Display Settings and don't see anything that affects the aspect
ratio. I am set to 1024 & 768 resolution, and the same problem occurs at
800x600. any ideas? The only recent tweak was to install a web-based video
game for my daughter. I haven't tried uninstalling it yet.
--
Kelly, Seattle WA
  #2  
Old April 28th 07, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.display
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Widescreen laptop suddenly has black bars on sides of the display

What is the resolution of the laptop? Both 800x600 and 1024x768 are 4:3
resolutions that would expect to be displayed with black bands on either
side on a wide screen display.

Checking with the Dell web site I see that the available resolutions for
an E1505 are 1280x800 and 1680x0105 (with TrueLife). Change to one or
other of these and you should find the bars go away and you get back the
use of your full screen.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows



KellyFi wrote:

Hello,
I have never had this problem with m Dell E1505 laptop....it has a
wide screen display and Windows has always displayed with the correct
aspect ratio. all of a sudden it is only using a standard amount of
screen real estate to display the image, with vertical black bars on
the sides. I've looked thru Display Settings and don't see anything
that affects the aspect ratio. I am set to 1024 & 768 resolution, and
the same problem occurs at 800x600. any ideas? The only recent tweak
was to install a web-based video game for my daughter. I haven't
tried uninstalling it yet.


  #3  
Old January 8th 08, 05:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.display
Jay
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 6
Default Widescreen laptop suddenly has black bars on sides of the disp

I have mine on 1280x800 and it still has the black bars on the sides.

"Mike M" wrote:

What is the resolution of the laptop? Both 800x600 and 1024x768 are 4:3
resolutions that would expect to be displayed with black bands on either
side on a wide screen display.

Checking with the Dell web site I see that the available resolutions for
an E1505 are 1280x800 and 1680x0105 (with TrueLife). Change to one or
other of these and you should find the bars go away and you get back the
use of your full screen.
--
Mike Maltby
MS-MVP Windows



KellyFi wrote:

Hello,
I have never had this problem with m Dell E1505 laptop....it has a
wide screen display and Windows has always displayed with the correct
aspect ratio. all of a sudden it is only using a standard amount of
screen real estate to display the image, with vertical black bars on
the sides. I've looked thru Display Settings and don't see anything
that affects the aspect ratio. I am set to 1024 & 768 resolution, and
the same problem occurs at 800x600. any ideas? The only recent tweak
was to install a web-based video game for my daughter. I haven't
tried uninstalling it yet.



  #4  
Old January 8th 08, 10:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.display
Mike M
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 2,047
Default Widescreen laptop suddenly has black bars on sides of the disp

What resolution are you running and on what hardware? Have you recently
updated or changed the video drivers?
--
Mike Maltby



Jay wrote:

I have mine on 1280x800 and it still has the black bars on the sides.


  #5  
Old November 20th 09, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsme.display
Qiqipandana
External Usenet User
 
Posts: 1
Default Widescreen laptop suddenly has black bars on sides of the disp

I am using my brand new Dell widescreen laptop and I had this problem
yesterday after I installed my DDO game. Yes, I had the same problem with two
black bars on each side. 5 mins ago, I tried to re-set the game options and
it worked.

- Go to Game Options
- Graphic
- Choose "Resolution" 1366 * 768
- Apply

Then it worked for me. Hope the information is useful.

"Mike M" wrote:

What resolution are you running and on what hardware? Have you recently
updated or changed the video drivers?
--
Mike Maltby



Jay wrote:

I have mine on 1280x800 and it still has the black bars on the sides.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need a widescreen laptop to run win98se/older midi apps todd l General 4 August 16th 06 11:45 PM
[98] Display goes black RedCell General 3 November 21st 05 01:57 PM
black icons on desktop display and tool bars,please help!! [email protected] Monitors & Displays 1 July 3rd 04 08:57 PM
Still Need Help - Display screen size suddenly shrunk a little [email protected] Improving Performance 6 June 10th 04 02:59 PM
Help - Display screen size suddenly shrunk a little [email protected] Improving Performance 1 June 8th 04 06:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Win98banter.
The comments are property of their posters.