A Windows 98 & ME forum. Win98banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Win98banter forum » Windows 98 » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"Windows Protection Error", "VCACHE", problems booting and crashin

Old July 17th 04, 11:50 AM
Kyan M.
external usenet poster

Default "Windows Protection Error", "VCACHE", problems booting and crashin

I assumed this was a software problem at first but since it started to happen again, even after a very smooth reformat, I think it has to be somehow related to some hardware of mine, but I'm not certian. Below is my plight.

Basically what happened:

-PC has been running smooth last few weeks. Haven't touched anything like drivers, settings, etc. Just load game, play, quit. This evening game freezes my PC. Ok, whatever, suprising but not unbelieavable. However, when I restart, the PC restarts soon as I try to load the game through desktop icon.

-For next half an hour, PC does all these wierd things. Restarting when I click icons, freezing, screen going crazy colors (like millions of pink and green dots), loading in Safemode, etc. Finally, it stops loading even. It says, "Windows Protection Error - Please restart your computer". So I do and I get the general Normal/Safemode/etc menu. If I try to load normally, I get that same quote. If I use Safemode, I get a similar quote: "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection Error - Please Restart". Basically I'm stuck in a loop, no matter if I load Safemode or normally, before I get anywhere near the desktop, "Windows Protect" keeps forcing me to restart.

-I'm at a lost so I figure I might as well format. Wipe the disk, install the OS, boot up. Get my vid, sound, etc, DirectX, Windows Updates, etc -- everything all updated nice and good, smooth, the PC restarted many times. At this point I figured everything was fixed and my PC was very healthy, it was running smooth and fast.

-I'm about ready to install my first game but I figure I'll restart it once more so it goes super smooth. Soon as it hits desktop, my PC freezes mid through the general welcome tune. Nothing like a freeze greeting you after a fresh format. I restart. Remember that "Windows Protection" loop I couldn't get past. I'm there again, right after a fresh format.

-However, once I leave Scandisk running, and this time instead of getting that VCACHE Windows Protection error, it loads to desktop. First thing I do is turn my Sound template from Windows Default to Off. I never used to have it on, and it froze during it, so figure maybe there's a problem with it and some update I got. Who knows. I restart.

-PC loads up fine, no errors. So I decide to try download this game, it uses a Bit Torrent Client. It gets download and it runs..... PC restarts.

-And I leave it, Scandisk goes through, it loads into Safemode and says "New Hardware Found, put in yer Win98 CD". I don't bother, click OK to see the details. File it wants is "bios.vxd", for "Plug and Play BIOS (Fail Safe)". I got this once or twice up at the top, during that 30 minutes of odd stuff too.

-I restart again, ship Scandisk, and it loads real slow. Then it loads desktop, or atleast some. Background loads fine, as does my taskbar, but nothing on my desktop shows, and I can't interact with my taskbar. I restart and it loads slow again but right at the black screen before my desktop loads, my PC just restarts by itself.

-The normal/safemode menu appears this time on load up and I go into safemode. Back at the "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection Error - Please Restart" message. I restart and Scandisk doesn't even appear. I select Safemode a few more times and I just keep getting this error. If I try to load normally, same error, without the "iniating VCACHE".

So basically I'm curious, what in the world is wrong with my PC? What causes the "Windows Protection Error"? What's my "VCACHE"? Why would this happen suddenly to my PC? I figure something with my hardware must be messed, if it started happening not an hour every a smooth reformat. Any idea what piece of hardware is screwed? Basically looking for any info at all. What caused it, why, and how can I fix it?
Old July 17th 04, 03:08 PM
Brian A.
external usenet poster

Default "Windows Protection Error", "VCACHE", problems booting and crashin

How much RAM do you have? If over 512MB:
"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/default...12&Product=3D=
w98

If Over 1.5GB:
Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
http://support.microsoft.com/default...43&Product=3D=
w98

I suspect bad/faulty or insufficient RAM if you haven't changed =
anything.

--=20
Brian A.

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
One can never truly be a master as there is always more to learn.

"Kyan M." Kyan wrote in message =
I assumed this was a software problem at first but since it started to =

happen again, even after a very smooth reformat, I think it has to be =
somehow related to some hardware of mine, but I'm not certian. Below is =
my plight.
=20
Basically what happened:=20
=20
-PC has been running smooth last few weeks. Haven't touched anything =

like drivers, settings, etc. Just load game, play, quit. This evening =
game freezes my PC. Ok, whatever, suprising but not unbelieavable. =
However, when I restart, the PC restarts soon as I try to load the game =
through desktop icon.=20
=20
-For next half an hour, PC does all these wierd things. Restarting =

when I click icons, freezing, screen going crazy colors (like millions =
of pink and green dots), loading in Safemode, etc. Finally, it stops =
loading even. It says, "Windows Protection Error - Please restart your =
computer". So I do and I get the general Normal/Safemode/etc menu. If I =
try to load normally, I get that same quote. If I use Safemode, I get a =
similar quote: "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection Error =
- Please Restart". Basically I'm stuck in a loop, no matter if I load =
Safemode or normally, before I get anywhere near the desktop, "Windows =
Protect" keeps forcing me to restart.=20
=20
-I'm at a lost so I figure I might as well format. Wipe the disk, =

install the OS, boot up. Get my vid, sound, etc, DirectX, Windows =
Updates, etc -- everything all updated nice and good, smooth, the PC =
restarted many times. At this point I figured everything was fixed and =
my PC was very healthy, it was running smooth and fast.=20
=20
-I'm about ready to install my first game but I figure I'll restart it =

once more so it goes super smooth. Soon as it hits desktop, my PC =
freezes mid through the general welcome tune. Nothing like a freeze =
greeting you after a fresh format. I restart. Remember that "Windows =
Protection" loop I couldn't get past. I'm there again, right after a =
fresh format.=20
=20
-However, once I leave Scandisk running, and this time instead of =

getting that VCACHE Windows Protection error, it loads to desktop. First =
thing I do is turn my Sound template from Windows Default to Off. I =
never used to have it on, and it froze during it, so figure maybe =
there's a problem with it and some update I got. Who knows. I restart.=20
=20
-PC loads up fine, no errors. So I decide to try download this game, =

it uses a Bit Torrent Client. It gets download and it runs..... PC =
restarts.=20
=20
-And I leave it, Scandisk goes through, it loads into Safemode and =

says "New Hardware Found, put in yer Win98 CD". I don't bother, click OK =
to see the details. File it wants is "bios.vxd", for "Plug and Play BIOS =
(Fail Safe)". I got this once or twice up at the top, during that 30 =
minutes of odd stuff too.=20
=20
-I restart again, ship Scandisk, and it loads real slow. Then it loads =

desktop, or atleast some. Background loads fine, as does my taskbar, but =
nothing on my desktop shows, and I can't interact with my taskbar. I =
restart and it loads slow again but right at the black screen before my =
desktop loads, my PC just restarts by itself.=20
=20
-The normal/safemode menu "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows =

Protection Error - Please Restart" message. I restart and Scandisk =
doesn't even appear. I select Safemode a few more times and I just keep =
getting this error. If I try to load normally, same error, without the =
"iniating VCACHE".=20
=20
=20
=20
So basically I'm curious, what in the world is wrong with my PC? What =

causes the "Windows Protection Error"? What's my "VCACHE"? Why would =
this happen suddenly to my PC? I figure something with my hardware must =
be messed, if it started happening not an hour every a smooth reformat. =
Any idea what piece of hardware is screwed? Basically looking for any =
info at all. What caused it, why, and how can I fix it?
Old July 17th 04, 07:01 PM
Kyan M.
external usenet poster

Default "Windows Protection Error", "VCACHE", problems booting and cra

512 DDR, it's about three years old, have never swapped, upgraded, or otherwise touched my RAM.

I've been able to get to the desktop a few more times, both in Safemode and normally. Each time it randomly crashed. Once when I tried to log into a board, twice while Bit Torrent was running (trying to download that game). Got some wierd new error too. Something about ASDF detecting a memory fault and ASDF restarting my PC to prevent memory/data loss or something. It was near when I was about to go to sleep and being very tired I just said screw and never recorded the excact error. Really sounds like some memory hardware died or is dying though.

"Brian A." wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...12&Product=w98

If Over 1.5GB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...43&Product=w98

I suspect bad/faulty or insufficient RAM if you haven't changed anything.

--
Brian A.

"Kyan M." Kyan wrote in message ...
I assumed this was a software problem at first but since it started to happen again, even after a very smooth reformat, I think it has to be somehow related to some hardware of mine, but I'm not certian. Below is my plight.

Basically what happened:

-PC has been running smooth last few weeks. Haven't touched anything like drivers, settings, etc. Just load game, play, quit. This evening game freezes my PC. Ok, whatever, suprising but not unbelieavable. However, when I restart, the PC restarts soon as I try to load the game through desktop icon.

-For next half an hour, PC does all these wierd things. Restarting when I click icons, freezing, screen going crazy colors (like millions of pink and green dots), loading in Safemode, etc. Finally, it stops loading even. It says, "Windows Protection Error - Please restart your computer". So I do and I get the general Normal/Safemode/etc menu. If I try to load normally, I get that same quote. If I use Safemode, I get a similar quote: "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection Error - Please Restart". Basically I'm stuck in a loop, no matter if I load Safemode or normally, before I get anywhere near the desktop, "Windows Protect" keeps forcing me to restart.

-I'm at a lost so I figure I might as well format. Wipe the disk, install the OS, boot up. Get my vid, sound, etc, DirectX, Windows Updates, etc -- everything all updated nice and good, smooth, the PC restarted many times. At this point I figured everything was fixed and my PC was very healthy, it was running smooth and fast.

-I'm about ready to install my first game but I figure I'll restart it once more so it goes super smooth. Soon as it hits desktop, my PC freezes mid through the general welcome tune. Nothing like a freeze greeting you after a fresh format. I restart. Remember that "Windows Protection" loop I couldn't get past. I'm there again, right after a fresh format.

-However, once I leave Scandisk running, and this time instead of getting that VCACHE Windows Protection error, it loads to desktop. First thing I do is turn my Sound template from Windows Default to Off. I never used to have it on, and it froze during it, so figure maybe there's a problem with it and some update I got. Who knows. I restart.

-PC loads up fine, no errors. So I decide to try download this game, it uses a Bit Torrent Client. It gets download and it runs..... PC restarts.

-And I leave it, Scandisk goes through, it loads into Safemode and says "New Hardware Found, put in yer Win98 CD". I don't bother, click OK to see the details. File it wants is "bios.vxd", for "Plug and Play BIOS (Fail Safe)". I got this once or twice up at the top, during that 30 minutes of odd stuff too.

-I restart again, ship Scandisk, and it loads real slow. Then it loads desktop, or atleast some. Background loads fine, as does my taskbar, but nothing on my desktop shows, and I can't interact with my taskbar. I restart and it loads slow again but right at the black screen before my desktop loads, my PC just restarts by itself.

-The normal/safemode menu "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection Error - Please Restart" message. I restart and Scandisk doesn't even appear. I select Safemode a few more times and I just keep getting this error. If I try to load normally, same error, without the "iniating VCACHE".

So basically I'm curious, what in the world is wrong with my PC? What causes the "Windows Protection Error"? What's my "VCACHE"? Why would this happen suddenly to my PC? I figure something with my hardware must be messed, if it started happening not an hour every a smooth reformat. Any idea what piece of hardware is screwed? Basically looking for any info at all. What caused it, why, and how can I fix it?

Old July 17th 04, 07:19 PM
Kyan M.
external usenet poster

Update (summary)

Went to sleep and turn the PC on in the morning. Loading to Safemode a couple times in a row, then after one hard-restart (skipped Scandisk), I got this error. I got it once right before I went to sleep also (though it never mentioned Sound Blaster specifically). I came in here to write all this and when I went back

"Insuffucient memory to start Windows

Please quit one or more" memory-heavy programs...

"Could not allocate code/patch RAM below 4 Mbyte" Something about loading Sound Blaster.. "Please Restart"

It auto restarts my PC quite quickly and I have this weak PC in another room so it's making it hard to get the exact quote. Sounds almost like the nail in the coffin that it's my RAM though.

"Kyan M." wrote:

512 DDR, it's about three years old, have never swapped, upgraded, or otherwise touched my RAM.

I've been able to get to the desktop a few more times, both in Safemode and normally. Each time it randomly crashed. Once when I tried to log into a board, twice while Bit Torrent was running (trying to download that game). Got some wierd new error too. Something about ASDF detecting a memory fault and ASDF restarting my PC to prevent memory/data loss or something. It was near when I was about to go to sleep and being very tired I just said screw and never recorded the excact error. Really sounds like some memory hardware died or is dying though.

"Brian A." wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...12&Product=w98

If Over 1.5GB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...43&Product=w98

I suspect bad/faulty or insufficient RAM if you haven't changed anything.

--
Brian A.

"Kyan M." Kyan wrote in message ...

Basically what happened:

-The normal/safemode menu "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection Error - Please Restart" message. I restart and Scandisk doesn't even appear. I select Safemode a few more times and I just keep getting this error. If I try to load normally, same error, without the "iniating VCACHE".

Old July 17th 04, 07:56 PM
Brian A.
external usenet poster

For now, while in Safe Mode:
Right click MyComputer, click Properties Device Manager tab. Click the =
+ next to Creative Miscellaneous Devices, double click Creative SB16 =
Emulation ( or whichever is present for you ), place a check next to =
"Disable in this hardware profile", remove the check next to "Exists in =
all hardware profiles", Ok your way out and reboot. Post back the =
results.

Ok, now let's have a look see at that error.

"Could not allocate code/patch RAM below 4 Mbyte" Something about =
loading Sound Blaster.. "Please Restart"

This has to do with your SB Live! DOS sound emulator and where/when it =
loads. The DOS emulator is not needed if you are not using sound in DOS. =
Please post the contents of your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys.=20

=20

--=20
Brian A.

"Kyan M." wrote in message =
Update (summary)
=20
Went to sleep and turn the PC on in the morning. Loading to Safemode a =

couple times in a row, then after one hard-restart (skipped Scandisk), I =
got this error. I got it once right before I went to sleep also (though =
it never mentioned Sound Blaster specifically). I came in here to write =
all this and when I went back
=20
"Insuffucient memory to start Windows
=20
Please quit one or more" memory-heavy programs...
=20
"Could not allocate code/patch RAM below 4 Mbyte" Something about =

loading Sound Blaster.. "Please Restart"
=20
It auto restarts my PC quite quickly and I have this weak PC in =

another room so it's making it hard to get the exact quote. Sounds =
almost like the nail in the coffin that it's my RAM though.
=20
"Kyan M." wrote:
=20
512 DDR, it's about three years old, have never swapped, upgraded, =

or otherwise touched my RAM.
=20
I've been able to get to the desktop a few more times, both in =

Safemode and normally. Each time it randomly crashed. Once when I tried =
to log into a board, twice while Bit Torrent was running (trying to =
download that game). Got some wierd new error too. Something about ASDF =
detecting a memory fault and ASDF restarting my PC to prevent =
memory/data loss or something. It was near when I was about to go to =
sleep and being very tired I just said screw and never recorded the =
excact error. Really sounds like some memory hardware died or is dying =
though.
=20
"Brian A." wrote:
=20
=

http://support.microsoft.com/default...12&Product=3D=
w98
=20
If Over 1.5GB:
=

http://support.microsoft.com/default...43&Product=3D=
w98
=20
I suspect bad/faulty or insufficient RAM if you haven't changed =

anything.
=20
--=20
Brian A.
=20
=20
=20
"Kyan M." Kyan wrote in message =

I assumed this was a software problem at first but since it =

started to happen again, even after a very smooth reformat, I think it =
has to be somehow related to some hardware of mine, but I'm not certian. =
Below is my plight.
=20
Basically what happened:=20
=20
-PC has been running smooth last few weeks. Haven't touched =

anything like drivers, settings, etc. Just load game, play, quit. This =
evening game freezes my PC. Ok, whatever, suprising but not =
unbelieavable. However, when I restart, the PC restarts soon as I try to =
load the game through desktop icon.=20
=20
-For next half an hour, PC does all these wierd things. =

Restarting when I click icons, freezing, screen going crazy colors (like =
millions of pink and green dots), loading in Safemode, etc. Finally, it =
stops loading even. It says, "Windows Protection Error - Please restart =
your computer". So I do and I get the general Normal/Safemode/etc menu. =
If I try to load normally, I get that same quote. If I use Safemode, I =
get a similar quote: "While iniating device VCACHE - Windows Protection =
Error - Please Restart". Basically I'm stuck in a loop, no matter if I =
load Safemode or normally, before I get anywhere near the desktop, =
"Windows Protect" keeps forcing me to restart.=20
=20
-I'm at a lost so I figure I might as well format. Wipe the =

disk, install the OS, boot up. Get my vid, sound, etc, DirectX, Windows =
Updates, etc -- everything all updated nice and good, smooth, the PC =
restarted many times. At this point I figured everything was fixed and =
my PC was very healthy, it was running smooth and fast.=20
=20
-I'm about ready to install my first game but I figure I'll =

restart it once more so it goes super smooth. Soon as it hits desktop, =
my PC freezes mid through the general welcome tune. Nothing like a =
freeze greeting you after a fresh format. I restart. Remember that =
"Windows Protection" loop I couldn't get past. I'm there again, right =
after a fresh format.=20
=20
-However, once I leave Scandisk running, and this time instead =

of getting that VCACHE Windows Protection error, it loads to desktop. =
First thing I do is turn my Sound template from Windows Default to Off. =
I never used to have it on, and it froze during it, so figure maybe =
there's a problem with it and some update I got. Who knows. I restart.=20
=20
-PC loads up fine, no errors. So I decide to try download this =

game, it uses a Bit Torrent Client. It gets download and it runs..... PC =
restarts.=20
=20
-And I leave it, Scandisk goes through, it loads into Safemode =

and says "New Hardware Found, put in yer Win98 CD". I don't bother, =
click OK to see the details. File it wants is "bios.vxd", for "Plug and =
Play BIOS (Fail Safe)". I got this once or twice up at the top, during =
that 30 minutes of odd stuff too.=20
=20
-I restart again, ship Scandisk, and it loads real slow. Then it =

loads desktop, or atleast some. Background loads fine, as does my =
taskbar, but nothing on my desktop shows, and I can't interact with my =
taskbar. I restart and it loads slow again but right at the black screen =
before my desktop loads, my PC just restarts by itself.=20
=20
-The normal/safemode menu "While iniating device VCACHE - =

Windows Protection Error - Please Restart" message. I restart and =
Scandisk doesn't even appear. I select Safemode a few more times and I =
just keep getting this error. If I try to load normally, same error, =
without the "iniating VCACHE".=20
=20
=20
=20
So basically I'm curious, what in the world is wrong with my PC? =

What causes the "Windows Protection Error"? What's my "VCACHE"? Why =
would this happen suddenly to my PC? I figure something with my hardware =
must be messed, if it started happening not an hour every a smooth =
reformat. Any idea what piece of hardware is screwed? Basically looking =
for any info at all. What caused it, why, and how can I fix it?