View Single Post
Old November 9th 04, 12:41 PM
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Need Help - Machine Fails to Boot

Hoping this is the correct NG for the post and that one of the MS MVP's for W98 can help.

Here are the specs: 1.33 mhz Pentium machine, running Win98 upgrade to Win95; 60 GB HDD
(just over 1 yr old - has the C: and D: partitions; Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card;
CDROM and Sony CD-RW.

Problem: Machine is used to run SETI data sets - has been running without problems 24x7;
the fan started making noise - observed it was loaded with dust - so shut down, pulled the
cover and vacuumed out the case and fan.

The machine started to boot normally, and gets to the point just before where the desktop
icons are displayed - and the following msg appears: "Error loading powrprof.dll One of
the library files needed to run this application cannot be found". After this - the
machine is essentially dead; ctl-alt-del brings up the close program dialog box (which
has been used numerous times).

What I have done so far: Check the MS site and found one msg that advise to extract a new
powrprof.dll file to the C:\windows\system directory - did this and the machine still
fails to boot.

I can start with the Startup disk - and select with CD support, however neither the CDROM
or CD-RW are recognized.

Also, just before the "Error loading powrprof.dll' msg is displayed - the icons in the
quick start tray briefly flash on and then disappear

This is where I am at - any and all suggestions are most welcome as my meager fixit
resources are exhausted.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

Doug