View Single Post
Old November 5th 17, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default Is there a way to turn a folder's filenames into a text file?

On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 8:31:34 AM UTC-6, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message ,
writes:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 23:05:00 -0600,
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 20:39:34 -0400, Nil
wrote:

On 03 Nov 2017,
wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

Aside from writing all of this on paper (too much work), is there
some software (freeware if possible) that can turn the filenames
in any folder into a text file, which I can save and have with me
at the WIFI.

I recall in the DOS days I could make such a filename list using
the "" after typing DIR. (I sort of forgot exactly how to do
that).

But that will only generate trunkated 8+3 filenames.

XP (and later)'s DOS emulation command line box will give you long file

[]
I'm using my Win98 computer right now. That does not work in Win98. I
get the 8+3 filenames. I will try it on my XP machine when I turn it on..

98 Windows DOSbox produces a directory listing with BOTH every time.
True DOS mode can't do long filenames unless you use special addon commands written to do expressly that. Collectively they are called LFN tools and bring long file names to true DOS mode - you don't get that with 9x MS-DOS as installed at all. Even in Windows DOSbox situation if you want to access a file by it's long filename you will have to use quotes around it or the DOSbox emulator will trigger on the first 'word' only.

Were these stored with 8.3 file names for
some reason?

Yes, for access in true DOS mode where long filenames can not be used without going to 3rd party solutions which MS NEVER offered. Using the 3rd party LFN tools will also require quotes around the long filename too.

A quite simple registry addition will make a text file from any folder's content quite easily. Copy and paste the text below into a blank notepad document with two blank lines following the outlined text below (do not include the lines) and save it as dir.reg. Then double click it and answer yes to merge with registry. Reboot, from now on your right click menu will include a DirPrint option and when you select it, the folder's directory listing will be written to C:\ADIR.TXT where you can open it and print it if so desired. That file will be overwritten without notice when the option is selected again so if it's content is valuable then you should move it somewhere safe PDQ.

----------------------

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\DirPrint]
@="&DirPrint"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\DirPrint\command]
@="Command.com /C DIR %1 /a /o:gneC:\\ADIR.TXT"

----------------------
Since this approach uses 9x's DOS emulator as in a DOSbox situation, you will have BOTH the short 8.3 name and the long filename if it even exists.

There simply is no need for short filenames in NT, that command processor/emulator is long file name enabled from the start and doesn't even use the short form because it's not 8.3 limited DOS at all. It's an emulator from the start that is only made to look like DOS. Ironical enough NT batch is supremely powerful compared to 9x capabilities.