View Single Post
Old January 26th 17, 04:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default Problem with writing/updating to a 32 GB USB stick.

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 8:22:07 PM UTC-7, 98 Guy wrote:
Lee wrote:

What I've discovered on 98 is that NUSB 3.6 is stuck in non-support
mode and for the most part can't even be found anymore for download.

Are you knocking 3.6 because it's "not supported" ?

No, I'm warning people that MDGX and others have pulled it. I used to get it there and it's not there anymore without any reason known. It's as if it never existed and we know it did. Tis a bit odd, methinks.

And 3.3 IS supported?

Again no. I don't even know that it is, but it is found at least.

POINT of post - neither of these works here as it should. They may install XP files, ME files and all the other good stuff. But they don't link together such that you get an XP like pop up in the system tray when you stick in your USB drive. And because of that, Windows Explorer will or won't see it, will or won't write to it, will or won't ruin it, all and only depending on if it's a Tuesday. That's a seat of the pants evaluation of craptastic USB support.

I think that's kinda important. I got mine working by also installing R Loews free USB files and by placing HOTPLUG.EXE into the startup folder, it now all works pretty good. Which is another seat of the pants evaluation. But at least the carnage in broken, borked USB drives has come to an end. I can actually let XP format one and the results are a formatted drive with no issues. I would think Win7 has a fuller list of USB drives and their associated oddities. But Bill Gates did not phone me and tell me that, I'm short on proof it seems.

Real point of interest to me is that Win7 will run diagnostics on an inserted drive. That's handy info. Thanks for that, I'll have to try that out.

Confusing part is Loew says there are other better USB support files out there. I assume he is talking about the 3.3 and 3.6 NUSB packages - yet they don't work here like they are supposed to. I do not get a popup in the system tray until I force it to be there via the startup folder containing HOTPLUG.EXE file. ONLY in his instructions is this vital system setup even mentioned. His method is to do it manually, I'm fine with that. He further says you should NOT do it on 98 systems, it's for 95 only. I didn't listen to that part and did it anyway. I also don't want any part of the STOP2USB files, I have 1.1. Is that covered by the '2' series? Don't say, won't use it then.

It must have been a Tuesday when I was able to use 98 USB drives before, can't really remember that part. But ever since I do get the pop up, things are working way much more better. I wanted to let somebody know that it's all supposed to work just like XP does it. And I have that only now.

http://rloew.x10host.com/free.htm

One of the files installed by NUSB 3.6 is usbccgp.sys, which is the "USB
Common Class Generic Parent Driver" and comes from Win-XP SP3.

I posted the following here in 2014. Maybe it provides some answers or
new information.

I don't know if any of the links work. If anyone wants any of these
files - ask me.

And remember, you need to wipe quite a bit of your existing USB stuff
out of your device manager before you install NUSB. You might even
have to start your computer in safe mode when you go into device manager
- you typically see stuff in Device Manager when you're in safe mode
that you don't see when you've booted normally.

-------------------------

Thanks for offering help 98 Guy