View Single Post
Old January 24th 17, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default Problem with writing/updating to a 32 GB USB stick.

What I've discovered on 98 is that NUSB 3.6 is stuck in non-support mode and for the most part can't even be found anymore for download. Some evidence that 3.3 was better anyway, I have nothing to say that it is.

What I do have to say is that 3.6 failed to install the most important part.. That would be the part that shows up in the system tray when you insert a USB drive and just like in XP, it does not go away until you click on it and make it OK to remove the drive. If this process isn't followed you have just borked your USB drive most likely. And all it takes is one unauthorized removal. Of course YMMV here, best of luck there too.

R Loew has some USB files for free and in his method one places the tray app in the system folder and a shortcut to it in the startup folder manually so that it runs every time windows does. THIS is what 3.6 fails to do, it fails to run the overlord app. The one that makes it OK to remove the drive. The one that smells your USB port and fires up when you do insert a USB drive, just like in XP.

I would far more trust Win7's opinion on a flash drive's health than a seat of the pants evaluation such as 'works fine'. Thanks 98 guy, I'll put that tip to work the very next time I use a USB drive.