View Single Post
Old September 11th 04, 12:37 AM
vtkempi
External Usenet User

Angry Son Deleted something and system will not start up

I think my son deleted Internet Explorer once, I have been able to mess around with the WININIT.INI file to get it to reboot. But cannot get it to work anymore. Tried to read one of these posts and change wininit.ini to wininit.jhk and that did not work. Basically when I had it working, and ran a windows update, the next time I booted up, the same problem occured. Again, now I cannot get my work around to work. To get this to work, I got another windows 98 system's wininit.ini file and placed on my problem system. That worked. But only until the next windows update.

What happens when I boot now and since my son deleted IE (I think - he thinks)... my system comes up in a C:\ prompt. Then, after I copied the one GOOD wininit.ini file to C:\windows I would go to c:\windows and type win and the system would finish the boot.

I either need another wininit.ini file that is not corrupt OR someway to have my system boot right up everytime and not come to a c:\windows prompt each time I turn on the system.

Thanks.