View Single Post
Old September 29th 16, 03:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default Pagefile Virtual Memory

Of course the best articles concerning 98 have been taken down leaving behind a mix of 95 advice too easily confused to be useful for 98. And of course one always could believe everything found on the internet in the first place. So I won't fault you for not finding useful 98 information these days. It was hard enough way back in the good days.

With the ram patch from Loew the maximum ram allowed for 98 is now standing at 4 gigs. My dual boot dimension 2400 is maxed out at 2 gigs while the swap file remains at 0 bytes consistently. My limit is of course motherboard based just as your limit is, but with the paid for patch, it can be as high as 4 gigs. If you didn't know that now you do. There are other patches that allow terabyte hard drives and even SATA drives to be accessed via the lowly 98 these days as well just in case you thought you were trapped on really ancient hardware. Circa 2005 seems to be the cutoff point for available 98 drivers for such hardware which is the real stumbling point dictating the real end of 98.

My use for 98 includes methods and 16 bit apps that XP and higher don't want to play with anymore and otherwise interfere with my 'experience' that used to be a selling point. Along with 5.25 drive access via my original 233 MHz MMX box for Atari 8bit to PC direct disk to disk creations, 98 isn't ever going away here.