View Single Post
Old September 27th 16, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default Pagefile Virtual Memory

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 4:14:20 AM UTC-6, gargoyle60 wrote:
For windows 98 is it possible to have the pagefile split across different drives in the same way as
for Windows XP?

Yes and no. 9x doesn't have a pagefile named pagefile. But it does use it's own method which is similar, it's called C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP file when you let Windows manage it automatically. It can be moved to another drive and/or partition. I found that when this was done that the swap file as it called in 9x doesn't get in the way of itself when defragmenting the windows drive.

In the early days when ram wasn't so cheap it was often recommended to set the swap file to a large minimum size, but almost every setting possible was easy to find on the web pushed out there by one pundit or another. Large minimum did help when ram was lacking, large ram was best of course. 512 MegaBytes of ram was 98's sweet spot and it would still use the swap file on occasion. I found that hard drive space was easier to afford so ran with 512 MByte swap file. Ram issues on my cheap box couldn't go that big, but would have if only I could have.

Get to the settings for Virtual Memory by pressing the Windows Key and the Pause/Break Key at the same time. Select Performance tab, click Virtual Memory and adjust as wanted there.

Pagefile is truly for NT machines, they will build one for your 9x partition if you are dual booting, but 9x does nothing with it. Split doesn't equate to 9x where you only have one swap file, it's always named WIN386.SWP.