View Single Post
Old March 9th 06, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.fat32,microsoft.public.win98.disks.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
external usenet poster

Default Can't write/save Word 2000 documents to a 1 GB Lexmar USB flash drive/stick?

"Ant" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have a weird issue with my father's old Toshiba Satellite laptop/notebook with old Windows 98 SE (all critical updates; OEM).

He seems to have problems saving Word 2000 SP-3 (all updates) documents to an USB flash drive/stick (Lexmar 1 GB; FAT32; E:
drive). He had it opened and saved on C: drive (HDD) and wanted to save to there. He keeps getting "directory not found" errors.
We tried shorter filenames (e.g., test.doc) since he originally had a very long name, but that didn't help. Then, we tried using
Windows Explorer to do copies from C: to E:, but that failed with the same error as well. Also, please note that was in the root
directory of E: and the filenames he was trying to save are in English.

I did noticed there were a bunch of other documents and folders/directories on E: that were like ______ because they were in
Chinese (using IME?) in Windows 2000 and XP operating systems since he uses multiple computers.

Are you sure it is formatted FAT32 and not FAT(16)? FAT has a 512 dir
entry limit in the root. Windows "Long names" use at least 2 entries
per. I would imagine chinese long names use a lot more. If FAT32, there
is a 64k directory entry limit. Much better than FAT16, but not out of
reach. Try moving some files and/or folders out of the root. Subdivide.