View Single Post
Old April 8th 17, 07:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Lee
External Usenet User

Default How to make a double-click only affect the clicked-on file ?

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 6:00:41 AM UTC-6, R.Wieser wrote:
Lee,

I was, in file explorer, trying to find a document by typing its name.
Suddenly it started to "act wierd", responding to the keystrokes by dropping
menus from the toolbar.

Darn it, it doesn't sound like we can use that then. At least I've not a solid clue how. Yet.

So the search tool was open and you were typing in the file name when it started misbehaving?

Thanks. Although it doesn't solve the problem itself (and I need to be
lucky to become aware of the problem before it barfs all over my desktop),
it mightbe helpfull in making sure thats its not a physically stickey key --
If its a keyboard-handling driver-code problem (as I'm suspecting) than
sending a single "key up" messsage (for each of the offending keyss should
release them.

Yep, if it's borked because of hot plug episodes it's still borked and I really don't know if it is anyway.

If only the system worked that way with key up reading.

So in my knowledge of the buffers known, NONE monitor for the key up situation, they only respond to key down. But they have vast array of methods for insuring that it's not an old key press or a glitch lasting too short of a time period to be physically possible to be an actual user pressing down on a key. Then a timer is also involved for the use of held down keys. But there is usually a memory location that is holding the current key press which gets sent to the buffer if other processes are in use that prevent the 'acceptance' of keys in real time and they are sent to the buffer and they are then served back to the system Last In, First Out order and the buffer count for total keys decremented for each key sent. These insights aren't much help, we would need to know where to do the hacking and I sure don't.

Perhaps someone has such a thing along the lines of a keyboard initializer, set it to go off when the focus changes every single time might possibly work. Just search name suggestions to maybe find a tool that will patch over this glitch.

So a pair sent such as windows key and then ESC separately should cause the system to exit from the mode in question, perhaps. If you are lucky enough to have it happen again try to determine the best key(s) sent to snap it out of this mode. Not sure what to even call this mode.

Sounds like in this particular mode, it's reading the keyboard directly then and talk of buffers is a lot of hot air then.

When I was in the mouse troubles mode I got in the habit of uninstalling the devices related via keyboard shortcuts and ALT was an essential key in those methods. XP has a rather handy 'scan for hardware changes' which would detect the removed devices and reinstall them without rebooting. And this did give vast amounts of relief although now I can't imagine how.

To get into keyboard input mood (pun on mode), the magic combo is CTRL-TAB, and I recall reading something about some settings that allows one to switch ALT-TAB for CTRL-TAB or both/either. Something along those lines but I wasn't looking for that then so I didn't really pay much attention, just the concept that these combos can be flipped by a setting. And others complaining of trying to use one and the other happens. It may yet be a setting. And perhaps one of the DOS mode shortcut properties where your options were cut back to only two legal combos IIRC - these settings may be a player in the issue. One can also swap mouse buttons around so it seems like this might have been a read on the accessibility options and there are several.

So after CTRL-TAB sets the mood, then Windows Key will kill it and then ESC to get away from the Start menu pop up. But then the focus is lost, it is what it is, at least something works for some kind of control.

To sum up those ramblings, it appears to be a random firing off of CTRL-TAB.. ALT after that goes straight to the tool bar then. Does that sound feasible to you?

Fixing cars because I can and there seems to be a need for that, I often find others having the exact same problem with theirs that I have just run head first into. A forum search on that make, model and even year will often be my first move and it's saved me entire days of misery. I suggest you try to find a forum for your make and model of confuser and see if anyone in there also has your problem, rarely they actually come back with a solution too.

You will have to have Scripting Host installed,

It is. Can't even remember when it wasn't ... And thanks for the links..

Regards
Rudy Wieser

Sure. Some site I was reading from seemed to have the position that WSH was not a default install which kind of was a new angle for me as I had never heard that position taken before. But you've got it, great. Be sure to get that documentation for it though - I gave a link to in last post because that is never the default install, I'm quite sure of that part.