Win98banter

Win98banter (http://www.win98banter.com/index.php)
-   General (http://www.win98banter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Windows Media Player-No Audio (http://www.win98banter.com/showthread.php?t=42901)

Jerry January 18th 08 12:13 AM

Windows Media Player-No Audio
 
Windows Media Player for Windows Me

I suddenly lost audio through Windows Media Player. It will not play my
audio CDs. This is what I have done.

I tried installing my Sound Blaster Live driver. It processed through until
it stopped and sent this message: “File Driver6.CAB on Windows Me edition is
needed.” At this point I did not know what to do next and aborted the driver
installation.

I then went to the Dell troubleshooting diagnostics for audio and it told me
to search for the following files:
midi=mmsystem.dll
wave=mmsystem.dll

I did a search and the files were not listed. The Dell diagnostics told me
to contact my manufacturer if the files were missing.

So, can someone assist me what to do next?

Thanks,
Jerry Reeder



Mike M January 18th 08 02:04 AM

Windows Media Player-No Audio
 
The file DRIVER6.CAB should be located in either C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
or possibly C:\Windows\Options\Install. If not then use Windows
Explorer's search ands see if the person who installed Win Me on your PC
located it elsewhere. Once located point any installer requesting this or
any other Win Me cab file to this folder. Alternatively, if you have a
retail copy of Win Me you will find all of the Win Me cab files located in
the folder Win9x on the CD.

I then went to the Dell troubleshooting diagnostics for audio and it
told me to search for the following files:
midi=mmsystem.dll
wave=mmsystem.dll


No not files but rather entries in the [drivers] section of system.ini, a
plain text file located in C:\Windows.

Have you considered using system restore and rolling your system back to a
checkpoint created before you started having problems with WMP?
--
Mike Maltby



Jerry wrote:

Windows Media Player for Windows Me

I suddenly lost audio through Windows Media Player. It will not play
my
audio CDs. This is what I have done.

I tried installing my Sound Blaster Live driver. It processed
through until it stopped and sent this message: ?oFile Driver6.CAB
on Windows Me edition is needed.? At this point I did not know
what to do next and aborted the driver installation.

I then went to the Dell troubleshooting diagnostics for audio and it
told me to search for the following files:
midi=mmsystem.dll
wave=mmsystem.dll

I did a search and the files were not listed. The Dell diagnostics
told me
to contact my manufacturer if the files were missing.

So, can someone assist me what to do next?

Thanks,
Jerry Reeder



Mart January 18th 08 02:08 AM

Windows Media Player-No Audio
 
The DRIVER6.CAB file *should* be located in C:\Windows\Options\Instal or
CABS folder. (As yours is an OEM [Dell] version of WinMe, then it's probably
in the CABS folder - BUT not necessarily). You might need to direct or
navigate the installation process there.

Mart


"Jerry" wrote in message
...
Windows Media Player for Windows Me

I suddenly lost audio through Windows Media Player. It will not play my
audio CDs. This is what I have done.

I tried installing my Sound Blaster Live driver. It processed through
until
it stopped and sent this message: "File Driver6.CAB on Windows Me edition
is
needed." At this point I did not know what to do next and aborted the
driver
installation.

I then went to the Dell troubleshooting diagnostics for audio and it told
me
to search for the following files:
midi=mmsystem.dll
wave=mmsystem.dll

I did a search and the files were not listed. The Dell diagnostics told
me
to contact my manufacturer if the files were missing.

So, can someone assist me what to do next?

Thanks,
Jerry Reeder





Jerry January 18th 08 05:27 AM

Windows Media Player-No Audio
 


"Mike M" wrote:

The file DRIVER6.CAB should be located in either C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
or possibly C:\Windows\Options\Install. If not then use Windows
Explorer's search ands see if the person who installed Win Me on your PC
located it elsewhere. Once located point any installer requesting this or
any other Win Me cab file to this folder. Alternatively, if you have a
retail copy of Win Me you will find all of the Win Me cab files located in
the folder Win9x on the CD.

I then went to the Dell troubleshooting diagnostics for audio and it
told me to search for the following files:
midi=mmsystem.dll
wave=mmsystem.dll


No not files but rather entries in the [drivers] section of system.ini, a
plain text file located in C:\Windows.

Have you considered using system restore and rolling your system back to a
checkpoint created before you started having problems with WMP?
--
Mike Maltby



Jerry wrote:

Windows Media Player for Windows Me

I suddenly lost audio through Windows Media Player. It will not play
my
audio CDs. This is what I have done.

I tried installing my Sound Blaster Live driver. It processed
through until it stopped and sent this message: â?oFile Driver6.CAB
on Windows Me edition is needed.� At this point I did not know
what to do next and aborted the driver installation.

I then went to the Dell troubleshooting diagnostics for audio and it
told me to search for the following files:
midi=mmsystem.dll
wave=mmsystem.dll

I did a search and the files were not listed. The Dell diagnostics
told me
to contact my manufacturer if the files were missing.

So, can someone assist me what to do next?

Thanks,
Jerry Reeder


Thanks Mike and Mart -

The System Restore fixed the problem. I should have thought of that.

Jerry


Mike M January 18th 08 10:54 AM

Windows Media Player-No Audio
 
Jerry wrote:

Thanks Mike and Mart -

The System Restore fixed the problem. I should have thought of that.


Jerry,

Thanks for posting back. I'm pleased to read that by using system restore
you managed to get your audio/WMP working again.
--
Mike Maltby




Mart January 18th 08 01:09 PM

Windows Media Player-No Audio
 
Good call Mike - System Restore, the most useful and undersold feature of
WinMe g

Well done Jerry.

Mart


"Mike M" wrote in message
...
Jerry wrote:

Thanks Mike and Mart -

The System Restore fixed the problem. I should have thought of that.


Jerry,

Thanks for posting back. I'm pleased to read that by using system restore
you managed to get your audio/WMP working again.
--
Mike Maltby







All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Win98Banter.com